Reign Of Winter

Part I - An Early Frost

Comments

May 02 (3 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Close Sink Sticky Delete
Reign Of Winter 1.1

The Snows of Summer : An Early Frost

(All our party characters start at this point in time in their homes or about in Heldren)

Fireday, 19 Gozran. 4713 AR

The sleepy village of Heldren has rarely seen such excitement and concern in one month. Reports from hunters and a strange half-Orc Druid speak of an unnatural cold that has descended upon the forest just days ago during a time when the seasons are shifting towards the warmth of spring and summer. Each night since the spring festival arrived, Old Mother Theodora has been wandering the streets prophetically claiming a dark time lies ahead. The local huntsman even reported sightings of a giant ferret over ten feet long, with a white pelt and razor sharp fangs. Other reports of dancing lights in the border wood have caused suspicion and excitement among the townsfolk. As dawn approaches the morning of Fireday, a new event is unfolding.

Clang, Clang, Clang! A clanging gong resonates through the town, stirring the entire village from its slumber. The sunlight has yet to break the coming dawn.

The bell from the armory is rarely heard, but this morning, it is clanging over and over, as if in warning of some major attack.

May 02 (3 months ago)
Valdis Supporter
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Jerr is startled from his dawn-time prayers by the alarm. After a quick look to the early morning sky, he quickly scurries into his room still holding his silver holy symbol. Glancing at his battered and worn armor for a moment, he decides not to chance the delay – people may be injured. He quickly grabs his shield and scimitar and as he hurries out he murmurs a prayer to Saranrae to bless his silver symbol, the sun-shaped silver shining in the warm reddish glow of the dawn sun slowly rising outside.

He steps outside, the light held high to see what’s outside before starting toward the sound of the alarm.

May 02 (3 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Scram wakes up immediately to the unfamiliar sound. Is this the evil attacking my forest? He puts on his armor and prepares his spells for the day.

May 03 (3 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
(Ok. Well try to move yours along Erik or otherwise I’ll just give you a spoiler alert in a few days so you can post here)

May 05 (3 months ago)
Zackary S.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Caelum deep in sleep from travel is awoken.Well the next part of my vision entails a battle …. i didn’t think things would go this fast once reaching heldren. Caelum memorizes his spells dons his armor and winter clothing steps outside the inn and heads for the armory.

May 06 (3 months ago)
John F.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Vendjavier would probably be at the meeting, but the duel might decide what his attitude would be. I’m trying to get caught up with the timeline.

May 06 (3 months ago)
Oriann
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
(My reaction will probably also depend on the outcome with Ionna)

May 06 (3 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
the meeting is a day before this event .. fyi .. this happens the morning of the next day or the day after. So you would all most likely be asleep in your homes when this happens .. outcomes in your threads do not really have much bearing on this, something is happening in the town that you should respond to it.. don’t expect your posting timelines to finish up any time soon. Those will continue to develop as the main storyline develops. if you unlock something in your storyline it will just amazingly appear in the main timeline for you to use.

In other words .. at the time of this event you will be in town, for whatever reason and at your homes where you are located or at your work if you are up early or something like that. This is the main storyline so this is where you all get together and react together. Does that make sense? This is independent of your other storyline which is just for your character. events may effect this one .. but don’t let that keep you from posting .. just do what you think your character would do ..

May 07 (3 months ago)
Ian V.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Hawke was already beginning to awake when he heard the bells begin to ring. He quickly springs to feet and quickly throws his clothes on. There may be trouble. He quickly dons his leather armor and buckles his sword belt. He then checks his flintlock and tucks it into his belt. He tosses on his duster and grabs his hat and then pauses for a moment as if trying to decide somehing and finally reaches under the bed for a long canvas case which he slings over his back.

May 07 (3 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
FYI for those of you donning armor, if you put on medium or light armor (most of them) it takes 1 minute .. Donning hastily takes 5 rounds and encurs a penalty (see 153 players guide) If you have heavy armor you may don it in 1 minute hastily but takes 4 minutes to do quickly. I am posting currently by MINUTES and NOT ROUNDS. We will switch to rounds soon. If you were “delaying” your first post, I suggest you go back and edit it to something that makes sense for what you would do. Most of you should be able to figure out what your character would do at this point and why they would be in the starting location they are in. If you launch the Reign of Winter session, you will see a map of heldren with your tokens already placed. Feel free to move your tokens as this story progresses. If you are unsure of your starting location, this map can also help you see where you are. The alarm is coming from location 1 on the map.

May 07 (3 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
A minute passes, the bell continues to toll and then stops abbruptly, one last CLANGGGGGG echoes through the the air. The sound seems to be coming from up the hill to the old Armory tower. Many of the buildings around town begin to show light in their windows, as citizens light lanterns and open windows to see what is going on. (Map squares are 20 feet, if you are going to move, consider you can move under normal movements and have 1 minute of rounds (each round is 6 seconds so you have 10 rounds to do what you want to do here)

May 07 (3 months ago)
Valdis Supporter
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Jerr looks about the town square for any sign of movement and closes the door tightly behind him, remembering the strange stories from the meeting with the farmers earlier. Holding his light aloft, he scurries toward the hill, slowing near the far side of the plaza to ask for guidance from Saranrae to face whatever lies ahead.

[Jerr is looking around in the first round and moving 20’, then running for 4 rounds to move 160’ and finally slowing to move 20’ to cast guidance on himself. This should put him about where the road to the armory leaves the town square. No armor to slow his movement.]

May 08 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Jerr arrives quickly at the entrance to the Armory atop the hill. Standing alone at first. Bloodstained markings are on the door and it is cracked open revealing a glow of light from within the room. Others around town gather in small groups. Some prepare for an attack, donning armor and gathering essential items.

May 08 (2 months ago)
Ian V.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Having dressed and gathered his things Hawke sets out at a quick pace to the armory.

May 08 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Hawke is second to arrive. He glances around and sees a short figure standing outside the armory door about 50 feet ahead up the hill leading to the armory. He seems to wear a clerics robe and a light shines from him upon the door which he seems to be examining.

May 08 (2 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Scram and Brother approach the Armory cautiously, curious what all the noise is about.

May 09 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Arriving at the Tower, Jerr and Hawk quickly head inside. A body lies dead on the floor with a pool of blood covering the ground. Jerr inspects the body and is alarmed to notice very tiny holes all over it, as if it was poked by tiny needles. Other major wounds also caused the death of this human. His armor is not recognized by Jerr or the Gunsliner. They notice a trail of blood wiped along the side of a stairway leading up into the tower. They decide to investigate.

Meanwhile Scram and Brother keep watch outside while Venjavier (Zhav) makes his way up the hill. Caelum has found Ionna Teppin and decides to follow her and protect her from harm.

Back in the tower, Jerr and Hawk explore the next floor. It is a storage room for the armory, containing different worn padded armors, spears and longswords. Some small wooden shields decorate the wall. Well stocked with poor defensive gear. The bell had chimed once more so someone must be further up the next set of stairs. They investigate, noticing a discarded sack and shield. Hawke quickly rummages through the sack. It appears to be a simple backpack of adventuring gear and discerning someone must have left it here and headed up the stairs, The cleric and the gunslinger wait for the wizard to join them, his calls from downstairs alerting them to his presence.

The trio climb the stairs cautiously, immediately coming upon the body of a dwarf, the rope of the bell still clasp in his hand, a large black sword resting in his other hand, almost falling out of it. The dwarf is clearly unconscious, falling in and out of it at best. Hawk looks out the window and can see the entire town below. The sun is rising on the horizon providing more light to the waking village. A few groups have gathered about. Ionna Teppin and her enteurage are slowly making their way to the Tower.

Removing the sword from the Dwarfs hand, The cleric raises his holy symbol and says a devoted prayer to Saranrae. The godess hears his call, sending a wave of pure holy energy out from the holy symbol. This soothing light immediately brings the dwarf back to consciousness. He is dazed at first but slowly regains his memory.

May 09 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
The dwarf introduces himself as Yuln Oerstag, a part of an escort who were protecting the Lady Argentea Malassene as she traveled with her wedding party from Oppara to Zimar. They were attacked by a group of raiders but were easily able to fend them off until a horde or wintertouched came flying out of the forest, stabbing them with their tiny blades, overwhelming the caravan. Many died quickly. Yuln and Dorne were able to escape, heading to find aid after Lady Argentea had been dragged into the woods by the remaining raiders. He urges the townsfolk to assist in her rescue.

Quick to respond, the hearts of the town are moved and Ionna gives the order to assist the volunteers in any way they can. “The lady MUST be returned alive and quickly” Yuln is lead to the healer, Argus while the others gather supplies around town. Yuln donates his +1 cold iron greatsword to the cause. The following supplies are found by interacting with the businesses and friends of the volunteers in town.

+1 cold iron greatsword (Hawke)
cold iron longsword
cold iron shortsword
+1 darkwood quarterstaff (Scram?)
5 cold iron bullets (Hawke)
4 cold iron arrows (Godric)
Potion of endure elements x2 (Zhav)
Potion of alchemist fire x8 (1 for each)
Ring of sustinance (Hawke)
Cold Winter Garment, Womans (Zhav)
Cold Winter Outfit (Godric)
cold winter outfit (Scram)
Cold Winter Outfit
Winter Cloak x2
Wand of Magic Weapon, 11 Charges (Jerr)
Wand of Scorching Ray, 42 Charges (Caelum)
2 Horses + Carriage [Holds 8 Passengers] (Currently at Massacre Site)
Iceflow Elixer (Jerr)

May 09 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Following the Dwarf’s directions carefully, the party quickly makes their way to the location of the Massacre … After inspecting a fallen corpse, Jerr is surprised when the corpse opens its eyes, revealing a blue stare. It swings wildly at him, growling; its body covered in ice as if a frozen animated corpse. More corpses begin to moan and rise from the remains of the wedding party.

May 09 (2 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
So, if I understand this correctly, I can not cast Shillelagh on a +1 Quarterstaff (to increase the damage to 2d6)?

May 09 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
hrm … let me look into that

May 09 (2 months ago)
Ian V.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Correct, the quarterstaff in question must be non-magical

May 09 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
i think he’s talking about casting it on the +1 darkwood staff

May 09 (2 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Just seems kind’ve silly that my plain quarterstaff is kind’ve better than a +1 quarterstaff.

May 10 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
I guess the upside is that you get to cast another spell and not use the slot if the 1d8 +1 with +1 to hit is almost as good if not better than the 2d6. Plus it is darkwood.

May 10 (2 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
You mean 2d6+1 with 1 to hit, and why would it be 1d81? A quarterstaff is normally 1d6. The darkwood just halves the weight, doesn’t it?

May 10 (2 months ago)
Ian V.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
That would be my fault…he asked me earlier and I told him wrong. I guess the only advantage is having a magical weapon without having to cast a spell. The upside is you can carry both and simply pull out the one you want.

May 10 (2 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Hehe, I’ll be a walking arsenal.

May 10 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
or you could always sell the darkwood staff .. and buy something more useful for you :)

May 11 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
The zombies have been defeated. Upon studying the fallen undead, their skin has an ice like appearance. It must have been giving them some protection from your attacks but the strength of your teamwork quickly dispatched the undead minions. It seems to be getting colder. There is a trail leading to the south. A statue of ice stands at the entrance. A strange cold air rushes out from the trail and into the massacre site. It must be very cold inside the forest. The carriages, now emptied of zombies, are all that remains of the wedding party.

May 11 (2 months ago)
Valdis Supporter
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
After looking around to make sure no one is seriously injured, Jerr will approach the statue to take a closer look at it. When the cold wind blows through the site, he pulls his warm clothing up tight to keep the cold at bay ((is anyone not wearing winter clothing? edit-Jerr already had winter clothing, so didn’t need any of the ones we picked up – not that they’d likely fit anyway))

May 11 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Thats a very good question Jerr .. who took the winter outfits .. we are about to find out aren’t we :)

May 11 (2 months ago)
John F.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Vendjavier has his aunt’s clothing, but refuses to wear it because it is too “pretty”. He might reconsider if it gets too cold.

May 11 (2 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
If no one else uses them (and they fit), Scram will put on a cold weather outfit and put a cloak on Brother.

Scram breathes heavily after his rage wears off. “Why dead things in my forest? No stand here cold, go kill evil.”

May 13 (2 months ago)
Zackary S.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
I put on one of the winter clothes I got from the shop

May 13 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Do not forget, we are playing tonight around 7:30 – 8:00 we will begin as people show up. Also .. If you were hit by a zombie and have not given a fortitude save .. make sure you do that. You can put your save in the actual game map chat. Everything else we will talk about tonight in Skype. Hope to see you there!

May 14 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Great progress! Our next session will be next monday 7:30 – 10:30 ish time period. I think that worked out well this week. I am going to post again here below for the progress of this thread from last nights session. We are going to move things along with roleplay on this thread and then continue onto the map if we get that far along. I will update daily if I can so if you can reply/ respond with anything relevant each day that would be great. If you do not post, I will assume you are just “tagging along” but you will not count as “participating” in this weeks asynchronous gameplay for XP and Treasure determination.

May 14 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
The statue turned out to be a Taldor Ranger Captain, frozen solid by some powerful ice magic. A fire was built with wood found throughout the massacre site and the statue was melted; the frozen captain falling to the ground with his sword raised. He was a powerful Taldor Ranger and had been somehow killed in spectacular wintry fashion. Jerr removed the breastplate from the ranger after it was determined that it possessed a magical quality. He would be able to adjust it easily to fit his small body due to the magic fibers woven into the metal, A trick Ten-Frim had taught him. Godric continued to search the site, and discovered a compartment in the second carriage. It had been closed and barred with a spear. Scram wasted no time in removing the spear, alarming Godric who drew his bow, expecting another undead onslaught. But, Scram peered into the darkness, seeing a small girl huddled in a corner. They removed her carefully and sent her back to town with their Wagon. The driver would return in 3 days time to pick them up again at the site.

May 14 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Fearless, and determined to find the lady Argentea, the party moved deeper into the woods. Immediately, the effects of the cold were noticed. Wrapping up in winter garments, they moved down the trail. It seemed as if they walked into a wall of snow, as blizzard-like conditions of wind and freezing air nipped at them. Visability became increasingly poor as they tried to navigate the blizzard barrier. Eventually coming upon a chest, partially covered in snow. Scram, once more, lost no time in investigating and opened it, triggering a trap. A pile of snow and shards of ice bombarded the party from above, burying Godric, Scram and Brother in an avalanche. Responding quickly, and fortunately having a shovel, the group dug out their friends and kept them from suffering even more harm. Cold and fatigued, the party continued, hoping the end of the blizzard wall was near. Just at the edge, visibility began to pick up. The party peered through the snow, but discovered a set of eyes peering back.

May 14 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Two giant white wolves with frost pouring from their nostrils, approached the party with curiosity. Scram easily identified them as Winter Wolves and held out some meat for them to have. The wolves reluctantly accepted and seemed to be domesticated; a fortunate outcome for the adventurers. With the wolves satisfied that the travelling companions were not a threat, they retreated into the woods. The party continued to exit the blizzard wall, emerging in a forest of clear wintry skies, coated with a heavy layer of snow. It was like they had passed through a hurricane of snow and ice to emerge on the inside of an eye of calm. The path continued deeper into the forest and towards the lodge.

May 14 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Relief from the wind and snow makes travel much easier through the wintry forest. The snow layers make the path deep and difficult but Godric and Scram seem to have little difficulty creating a path for the rest to easily follow. Eventually, the group comes to a part of the forest where the trees have been decorated by hanging fetishes. Jerr searches, unsuccessfully for any religious connection while others try to decipher any magical meaning. None is found. The party moves quietly, trying not to disturb any spirits that might dwell within the forest when Scram spots some of the wintertouched glowing lights he has seen before. He shouts out to the party “More glowing lights!” Startled by Scrams loud echoing voice, the glowing lights begin to talk amongst themselves in a quiet smooth language. The wizard recognizes it as Sylvan, the language of they fey. “They seem to be arguing over what to do with us”, he explains. Not waiting to find out, Caelum takes out the wand of Scorching Ray that the old woman had given him and fires into the trees, barely missing a wintertouched sprite who dodges it at the last second. They scream out in sylvan and begin to attack the party, unleashing a dazzling wave of colors into the group, knocking many of them unconscious. As the fight continues, only Jerr, the cleric, and Scram’s companion Brother remain. The rest have been incapacitated by the fey’s powerful color magic. Jerr calls on Sarenrae’s fire to cleanse these creatures, hurling rays of fire at them. The fire seems to frighten the tiny flying fey and they retreat into the woods for reinforcements. The unconscious friends slowly regain their faculties and shake off the encounter. They realize that one of the fey has fallen into the snow fromt he combat, an arrow from Godric’s bow, followed by a magic missile, had taken it out of commission. They decide it might be best to question it and after disarming it, they place it in a sack and tie the sack, then placing it in a small jewelry box. They will deal with this mischevious creature later.

May 14 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Scram points the way to the lodge and claims the group is close. They decide to journey further towards the lodge, seeking refuge from their aching bodies. The Taldor Rangers should be of some assistance to them. They head out. The narrow game trail winds its way through the trees and undergrowth here. Godric stops, raising his hand. Scram also notices something on the ground (Either of you can make a survival check to identify) Snowy prints are in the ground here. They are definately not human and lead across the snow in both directions.

May 14 (2 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Scram’s Survival check: 10

May 14 (2 months ago)
Valdis Supporter
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
As they journey forward, the others notice that Jerr is a bit less excited and eager than usual. The last encounter was has drained him, he’s trudging along through the snow (ooc – Jerr’s used most of his magic). He suggests to whoever is nearby that maybe they should be cautious as they approach the lodge ahead.

May 14 (2 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Scram bows his head. “I sorry, little lights hurt.”

May 14 (2 months ago)
John F.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Vendjavier agrees with Jerr that we should be cautious, but hopes to himself that they will find some rest soon. His body is tired, sore(still injured) and he also feels drained.

May 14 (2 months ago)
ken s.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Survival roll* 12* Godric kneels next to the tracks seeking to read signs from them. We should use caution but not linger for to long. I need to warm myself before frostbite sets in. That and i can barely keep my head up.

May 15 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
(Anyone who does not have cold weather gear needs to make another check here)

Passing by the tracks, they carefully continue their journey through the snow. Whatever it was, it had left rather large footprints across the main trail. Hopefully they wouldn’t have to encounter anything too sinister, but the way things are going ..

Eventually, the trail winds around a bend and heads down to cross a small river. Scram immediately recognizes the landscape, telling the others that the lodge lies just across the river here. There used to be a bridge though, he remembers. The rangers must have cleared it away for some reason. The posts were there, but the bridge was gone.

A giant sign was posted as they begin to descend to toward the iced river crossing. It leans against a large snowman erected on the side of the trail where the trail and river meet. It is crudely constructed and reads. “Tresspassers Turn Back. You have been warned!”

May 15 (2 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Scram scratches his head. “That new. Should be bridge, no sign.”

May 15 (2 months ago)
Valdis Supporter
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“I don’t know the rangers, but I’m guessing that isn’t their work. The scales a bit off and its crude.” Jerr points at the small river ahead, “Crossing the river won’t be much fun in this weather, anyone see a means of getting across? Or even better, a pair of fancy boots with magical runes?” Jerr looks around for any convient logs, ice flows, or hopefully, boats.

May 15 (2 months ago)
John F.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Vendjavier “I’m going to check that snowman. We’ve already had an ice sculpture that wasn’t actually a sculpture.” (perception check 7. I’m not sure if its possible by the rules or if we even have the time needed, but I’ll take 10 or 20 if allowed. The results would be 12 or 22.)

May 16 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
How do you want to check out the snowman? Are you going to approach it and hit it? just walk up to it? look at it from a distance where the group is?

Jerr .. the river actually seems completely frozen over from where you are standing .. If the river is still flowing, it is underneath the ice.

May 16 (2 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Scram will check the river to see if the ice is crossable. Survival: 27

May 16 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
I have changed your roll20 map to include your current location

May 16 (2 months ago)
ken s.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
" Scram, I have some rope we could tie it around your waist. If the ice is thin we as a group could pull you to safety."

May 16 (2 months ago)
John F.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Vendjavier walks up to the snowman cautiously. He looks around it, about a foot away, but doesn’t actually touch it, to see if he can discern anything interesting.

May 17 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Scram begins to make his way off the path and down to the edge of the river to inspect it .. as he does, Venjavier approaches the snowman for a closer look. Suddenly, without warning, the snowman begins to shout, as if alive by some magical force. “Don’t you know how to read? The sign says turn back! Now get lost!” As it shouts, the head of the snowman explodes with great force sending shards of ice flying out in all directions. Godric, who is assisting Scram by holding out a rope for him, are caught in total surprise as a rain of snow and ice pelt them from their right. Jerr, who watches from some distance nearly falls back into the snow as the blast of wind and snow fly past him, clouding his vision for a brief moment. Venjavier, who is standing directly in the snowman’s explosive path, has little recourse from the explosion. Shards of ice and snow pelt his body. He stands, covered in snow and ice. (Fortitude Required From Vendjavier)

May 17 (2 months ago)
John F.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
(Fort 10) Vendjavier screams “Traako!” as the ice and snow hit him. (I don’t know how long the elemental protection Jerr cast on me lasts. It might protect from some of the damage if its still in effect)

May 17 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
it was sonic damage actually. You are stunned for 2 rounds.

May 17 (2 months ago)
Valdis Supporter
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
(endure elements only protects from extreme temperatures, not direct damage). Jerr throws up his hands to avoid the blinding snow, and then dusts himself as he looks around in the aftermath for anyone that might have been alerted by the noise. “Not the most subtle message. You’d almost think they didn’t want to see us.”

May 18 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Scrams inspection of the river reveals that the river is fairly safe to cross although it will be very slippery. A few darkened spots indicate areas where the river might not be as safe; thinner ice, his experience tells him.

At the same time, the snowman explodes, showering Zhav with ice and the sound, stunning him where he stands. The blast nearly knocs Scram into the river as he was bending down to inspect it

A moment later, the ground begins to vibrate. Glancing up the hill, from where they came, the group can see a giant snowball building up steam as it barrels towards them. ( a perception of 12 or more will give you one round to react, fail means you are caught off guard as a giant snowball rolls towards you)

You have today to post your perception and reaction. Those who do not will be considered unaware tomorrow morning when I post the next part

May 18 (2 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
(Perception: 26)

Scram yells, “Brother, attack!” pointing away from the trail, then runs along the riverbank in the other direction.

May 18 (2 months ago)
Valdis Supporter
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
(Perception: 19 – I moved Jerr to where he’s trying to get to)

“Where did that come from?” Jerr asks as he quickly scrambles off the path to take cover behind the nearby rocks, pulling up his heavy shield to give himself better cover.

edited – Jerr is simply double moving off the path onto the rock there

May 18 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
I should also mention that walking off the trail is heavy snow .. it take 4 squares to enter each heavy snow square

May 18 (2 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
(What about walking/slip’n’sliding on the icy river? Can I dive out onto the river and slide a few squares?)

May 19 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Acrobatics (17) to run or slide on ice successfully, Acrobatics (12) to walk carefully and not fall down. Half Move avoids checks. Combat or doing crazy things incurs a check

May 19 (2 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Ok, Scram just half moves then, to his new location on the map. Meanwhile, Brother runs in the direction Scram pointed, then turns back, confused as to what he is supposed to attack.

May 19 (2 months ago)
ken s.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
perception(20+4=24) Looking up Godric sees a large ball of snow heading toward the party!

May 19 (2 months ago)
ken s.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Quickly moving to follow Scram across in river. Acrobatics (10+4=14)

May 19 (2 months ago)
John F.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Vendjavier says, “Look at the pretty birdies and stars.” as he staggers in place. (stunned)

May 20 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
A rolling ball of ice and snow barrels down the hill collecting everything in its path. Those unlucky enough to see the snowball to react (or those who cannot react) must reflex or become a part of the giant rolling snowball. As it approaches, you almost believe the snowball to have giant eyes and arms wrapping tight around a body of ice.

Reflex for Caelum, Oriann, Beorn, Hawke (Zhav is still stunned .. sorry bud)

May 20 (2 months ago)
Oriann
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Been catching up on all of this. Moving into the new house has slowed me down QUITE a bit. (reflex: 17+6=23). I rolled it in the game client.

May 20 (2 months ago)
Zackary S.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
I rolled a 13 for reflex save

May 21 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
The ice elementals carried some of the party down the hill and landed in an area of thin ice, sending the party flying out in every direction (I forgot to have you stand up from this but thats cool, not going to mess with it now) A battle ensued. The ice elementals glided through the ice, as if a part of it, maneuvering to positions around the party. The group of adventurers reacted quickly but Caelum took the brunt of the initial assault falling to the ice. Venjavier also bludgened to unconsciousness lay helpless in the middle of the river.

Fortunately, a new friend emerges from the other side of the river. He taunts the ice elementals to react to him, leading them away from the unconscious magus. Remero, a rogue from the High Sentinel Lodge, joins the group in dispatching these ice creatures. Together, they are able to drive them back into the ice. Worn out and tired, Remero explains how the Lodge has been overrun by a group of Quidaran raiders and would not be safe to visit. He would appreciate their help in taking back the lodge. They decide it is best to rest and regain their strength and power so with the help of Scram and Godric, a fire is made at a campsite far away and they make it undisturbed through the night.

Forming a plan, they decide to approach the lodge from the south and hide out in the stable, creating a surprise assault on the unexpecting Raiders. Waiting until they know the raiding party from the lodge has left for the day, they prepare their assault.

May 21 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Their attempt at a surprise attack failed, the guards immediately saw the group try to sneak out of the stable to assault them and one guard was able to quickly run inside to rally the raiders left within. A battle ensued. Caltrops were thrown, wands were discharged, arrows flew and swords sliced, colors flew. The team worked brilliantly to dispatch the entire raider army left within the lodge. Two were tied up as prisoners as the party faced two leaders within the compound. One, a fighter and the other a bard, hid inside a room of the lodge waiting to strike, but they were unsuccessful and were quickly overwhelmed by the adventurers as the broke in and took them down. A quick search of the room revealed several items and after searching the bodies, the group found some magical gear to add to their loot. (See Game Tracker Session 3 For Details)

May 21 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Having dispatched the raiders, the party quickly gathers to decide what to do next. They know a patrol will return later this evening and also that there are many unexplored rooms and at least one clueless chef. How do you want to handle this. Please take some time to discuss what you want to do next and how .. Also .. how many of you have risen to level 2? If you have please update your character sheets on OP

May 21 (2 months ago)
Valdis Supporter
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Jerr is level 2, he should be up to date on OP.

After everyone’s had a moment to rest and look around the immediate surroundings, the small halfling says, “Not exactly according to plan, but it worked. We need to find out what happened here. Scram, Godric, maybe you two can look around outside, look for traps, check any other buildings, and start preparing for the return of the patrol. The rest of us should look around the lodge here – see what we can find out about the rangers and princess. Romero, can you tell us anywhere special to look? I’ll have a word with the chef and see if there’s any food, maybe we can have a bit of lunch.”

Jerr pauses and turns to the tied up prisoner, saying in a friendly manner “Although before we go through all that trouble, maybe you can help us out and give us some idea of where to look for traps or information. I’m sure you can help us out. And then we’ll see about lunch.” [Diplomacy 23]

May 21 (2 months ago)
ken s.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“I will scout around outside, maybe I can find some tracks from the raiding party.I have a spade with Scrams help we could create some surprises for them.”

May 21 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
The captives seem quite cooperative with Jerr. “Rohkar did something with the princess and the ice being that we captured. He’s holding them upstairs somewhere I think, but He’s locked him self up there for some time now and we haven’t seen him in a couple days. Only Zimar has been giving us his orders lately. Ten Penny, our chef, is a great cook, but a slow thinking half-wit. Please spare him. He won’t even understand what is going on probably. He only speaks a little common. I’m sure he will prepare you a nice meal You promise since we’ve been helpful you won’t kill us right .. and you’ll let us go when you leave?”

May 21 (2 months ago)
Valdis Supporter
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“Are you sure that’s what you want?” Jerr asks helpfully. “The life of a bandit isn’t usually that long, or pleasant. You could come back to Heldren with us, I’m sure we could find work for you and a good cook is welcome in any community – I’m sure we could find a place for Ten Penny too.”

May 21 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“I do thank you for the kindness good sir, but Ten-penny is mistreated most places and a Quidaran, like myself, would be shot on site in a Taldoran town for sure.” The other captive nodded in agreement.

May 21 (2 months ago)
John F.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Vendjavier wants to head upstairs, but after exploding snowman heads he will ask Remero to lead the way after we get any useful info from the captives.

May 21 (2 months ago)
Valdis Supporter
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“I know a few Quidarans in Heldren, and I know a few people around town. Think it over, its a good place to live.” Jerr goes to find Ten Penny, “Hello, my name is Jerr, I just arrived – any chance there’s something here to eat for lunch?”

May 21 (2 months ago)
Zackary S.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“I guess I’ll head upstairs with Vendjavier …..” Caelum grabs some of the items they found and goes after vendj.

May 22 (2 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Scram heads outside with Godric and Brother.

May 22 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
@ Jerr
Opening the kitchen door, Jerr approached the half-orc chef who prepared held a knife in his hand and was chopping up some vegetables for a soup. He turns, looking down at Jerr.

“Where daddy friend. Tell him soup is good to eat now. Better men feel good with soup of Ten Penny”

@Vendjavier & Caelum & Remero
You head up the stairs and to the door at the top. There is a note that says. “DO NOT DISTURB! THIS MEANS YOU!”

@Godric & Scram
Godric and Scram and Brother search the perimiter of the lodge for traps and signs of the patrol. Survival to track the patrol. Perception to identify further traps and avoid them. One can roll and the other can assist or if you want to split up you can roll separately .. I will need a check for Lodge Yard, Outhouse, Eastern Trail, Bridge

May 22 (2 months ago)
Marc M.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
OOC: I need to know what Remero knows about the configuration of the lodge. Where is the Captain’s office with its scrying stone? Are there any Taldoran (not Quadiran) traps or hidden spaces or keys etc. Where would the Rangers keep their prisoners, for example.

Remero will tell his now-trusted companions all he knows about the layout and disposition of the Sentinel Lodge. His advice is to make for the Captain’s office before going upstairs (unless it IS upstairs!).

May 22 (2 months ago)
Valdis Supporter
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Jerr replies to the half-orc,“I’ll be sure to let them know. Can you tell me about anything strange you’ve seen happen around here lately? Any strange little faeries or princesses or ice monsters? With all the noise here lately, I’m afraid we’re going to have to leave the lodge before too long.”

May 22 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
@Jerr
“You speak funny boy. Go tell dad food is ready.”

@Remero
you know the basic layout of the facility but have never been upstairs yourself .. It is where the officers would meet to go over plans and eat. The captains quarters, however, are on the ground floor, in the room next to where you killed the two named Raiders. I cannot view the map at the moment but its the door right north of the fireplace. You met him there. You also know that there is a small dungeon on the ground floor that you can get to pretty easily if it isn’t locked up tight. That is where you would have kept any prisoners and most likely where the Raiders would have any, if they kept any alive.

May 22 (2 months ago)
Marc M.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Remero pipes up so that the others can hear him: “Gentlemen, before going upstairs I recommend we search the Captan’s office, behind this door north of the fireplace. Also, the Taldoran Rangers keep prisoners in a small donjon over this way. I never had access but perhaps this key we found opens it.”

Remero will wait for whoever decides to accompany him (if anyone), go towards the office door, and check for traps on the square in front and then the door+handle [DM’s roll] – if it’s clean he’ll try to open it.

May 22 (2 months ago)
Valdis Supporter
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Jerr sighs in frustration, and returns to the main room, “Ten Penny says the soup’s ready, kitchen seems to be in order.” Jerr goes to follow Remero in case any of the prisoners are injured.

May 22 (2 months ago)
Marc M.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Remero mutters as he concentrates before the door “I don’t know how halflings can be so small having such big appetites … nevertheless … many thanks for the healing touch of your deity, Jerr.”

May 22 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Remero and Jerr head over to the captains room. After a quick check of the door, Remero finds it to be locked but removes the key they found and tries the lock. It opens easily revealing the room beyond.

A large maple chest and a bed decorate this room. Many of the shelves on a bookcase have been emptied, remero notes, and replaced with artifacts of a macabre nature. A shrine has been erected in the middle of the shelving to some diety. (Knowledge religion could reveal more)

You may search the room and the bookcase separately.

Remero also informs the group that access to the dungeon / cellar is found outside the lodge itself, near the bridge side.

May 22 (2 months ago)
Valdis Supporter
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Jerr continues his halfling luck as he peers at the shrine trying to divine its purpose [Knowledge religion 23]. He’s focused more on the bookcase, so he’ll poke around there [perception 21].

In response to Remero he says, “Food’s important, you can never be sure where the next meal will be.” Although Jerr’s found Heldren to be lax, he’s not so sure about how these rangers might feel about Saranrae, so he let’s the comment about the deity go.

May 22 (2 months ago)
John F.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Vendjavier follows Remero.

May 22 (2 months ago)
Marc M.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Remero will Aid Another on Jerr on the Perception roll and gets a 14 total with Take 10.

May 22 (2 months ago)
Marc M.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Oh, and Remero will then wander to the chest, check for traps on it [DM roll]

May 22 (2 months ago)
ken s.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Roll for—- Lodge yard: Perception 1+6=7 add 1 for snow or ice = 8 / survival 18+7=25 add+1 ice or snow 26

Outhouse: Perception 16+6=22 or 23 / Survival:4+7=11 or 12

Eastern trail: Perception 9+6=15 or 16 /Survival:17+7=24 or 25

Bridge:Perception 14+6=20 or 21 /Survival:10+7=17 or 18

May 23 (2 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Scram assists on the Perception checks, does his own Survival checks.

Lodge yard: Perception 1+6=7 / survival 5+9=14

Outhouse: Perception 12+6=18 / Survival:2+9=11

Eastern trail: Perception 10+6=16 /Survival:12+9=21

Bridge:Perception 7+6=13 /Survival:11+9=20

May 23 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
@Remero
The chest appears safe to unlock. It is clearly locked

@ Godric & Scram
Lodge Yard – Exploring the lodge yard, you do not observe anything unusual. You avoid the trap that you already marked out early but fail to notice the tripwire set around the northern face of the house. Setting it off, a giant spiked log comed swinging from the forest to take out your heads. (Reflex Saves for you both)

Godric points out a trigger mechanism for an explosive trap inside the outhouse door and decides it is best to leave it alone. The rest of the house seems to be cleared of traps.

Tracking shows that there are footprints heading off and across the bridge. This must be where the patrol went out today.

May 23 (2 months ago)
Marc M.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Remero attempts to unlock the chest [Disable Device roll total 20, rolled in the VTT]

If the lock doesn’t open, he’ll try and patiently Take 20 [total 28] to make sure he opens it.

May 23 (2 months ago)
ken s.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Reflex save 14+7=21

May 23 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Remero begins to unlock the chest. Venjavier is just about to suggest using magical means to search for magical traps when remero clicks the lock open. Lifting the lid of the chest , remero takes a peak inside, momentarily befor a surge of pain wrecks through his body. Something saps the life out of remero as he lifts the lid. (fort save)

Meanwhile here studies the relics on the shelf. He identifies the altar as one to the god of trickery and death. He is about to share his bad feeling about the altar when remero cries out in pain.

May 23 (2 months ago)
ken s.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
(OOC – what would i role t try and build some traps near the bridge for the returning patrol.)

May 23 (2 months ago)
Zackary S.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Caelum hearing that there is food ready goes down and eats.

May 24 (2 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Reflex: 12+2=14

May 25 (2 months ago)
Oriann
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Oriann goes and eats, and leaves the trapfinding to those more suited. (Though I’m rogue, hes been doing it for a while already so just gonna let him finish it up. I head to the food, eat, and reaccompany the party to see what is found in the rest of the Captain’s chambers.

May 25 (2 months ago)
Marc M.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Remero gets a 8 for his Save [rolled in VTT]

Such pain … SUCH PAIN!!!!! Ghaaaah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. I’ve been forgetting to add my Trapfinding +1 to Perception and Disable for traps. I will fix that. Also, note that Rogues can (if they roll high enough LOL) detect magical traps, unlike other classes.

May 27 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
@scram and godric

The trap swings quickly. An assembled conglomeration of pointed sticks and stones tied to a giant log ( Jedi flashbacks). Godric dives out of the way quickly but scram is slower to react. Godric calls out “look out” as scram ducks aside at the very last moment , to sharpened skewer missing his left arm by an inch. Phew!

@ remero.

The trap sends a surge of negative energy flowing through your body. The stinging vines of energy crawl up your arm, paralyzingly it with a painful shock. Unable to remove your arm immediately as a force drains your body. Eventually remero is able to let go of the chest and grabs his arm in pain. (6 negative energy damage + arm is paralyzed for a few rounds.

@ hungry adventurers

The soup is actually quite good. An I recognizable meat and flavor has been used in the recipe. Ten penny refers to it as the secret ingredient.

@ trap makers

I will look into this later. When I get a DMG. I’m at a water park with a sleepy baby ATM. Phone makes for slow posting. First world problems

May 28 (2 months ago)
Valdis Supporter
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Jerr tries to stop Remero, but doesn’t react quickly enough and moves back as the trap discharges, “Well, that’s a particularly nasty device. Maybe take a bit of a rest.” Jerr takes the opportunity to look around the room [perception 9]

May 29 (2 months ago)
Marc M.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Staring at his blackened arm, Remero mumbles “Yeah, I … I’m just gonna lie down here for a moment …”

May 29 (2 months ago)
John F.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Vendjavier sees that the cleric checks on Remero, so he checks around the room [taking his time (taking 20 for a 21 Perception) if possible, or just taking a quick look around, if time is an issue (rolled a 6+1 for 7 Perception)]

May 30 (2 months ago)
Ian V.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Hawk comes in from the cold and notices several others eating/have eaten and decides a little food would be perfect to warm him up.

May 30 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Traps could be made by two avenues. One is survival. You could dig a simple trap or a a snare and the complexity would determine the DC. For a more complicated trap there is Craft(Trapfinding) which can also be used along with survival to make traps with moving parts and mechanisms .. not like a simple tripwire or pit but more complicated series of events. Magical traps require a crafting wondrous items type feat. There is a chart for simple mechanical traps. If you search d20pfsrd.com you can search for it.

May 30 (2 months ago)
ken s.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Godric would like to dig several 2ftx3ftx3ft deep and line the bottoms with sharpened limbs and covered. I would dig these at the end of the bridge and out about 20ft. Survival:16+9=25 and 26 for ice and snow.

May 30 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
sounds good .. please mark your traps on the map with the “drawing tool”

June 01 (2 months ago)
Valdis Supporter
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Not finding much laying about, Jerr says to those in the room, “Probably a good time for a bite to eat, let’s have a quick meal and then finish our explorations.” With that, he heads back to the eating room to join the others eating.

June 01 (2 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
After “locating” the traps outside, Scram will head inside for a rest and bite to eat.

June 03 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
After braving the stairs to confront Rhokar, the party of adventurers battled a large contingent of Rohkar’s animated skeletons. What used to be most of the Taldor Ranger’s had been converted to skeletal playthings for a cleric of Norgorber, Rohkar Cindren. After being totally decimated by Godric’s arrows, the evil cleric cast a spell of fear upon him sending him running away screaming down the stairs, but this was not enough to stop the party who bottlenecked the skeletons and took them down one by one. In a daring a clever tactical meneauver, Remero managed to climb up the outside of the lodge, deafening Rohkar with a thunderstone and sneaking in behind him. Outmatched, Rohkar fell to our adventurers who discovered just how sick one man’s quest for power can make him. Not ready to kill the priest of Norgorber, the group knew they must persuade him to reveal the location of the Princess. After much persuasion, Rohkar was convinces that the party was part of some bigger plot of Izoze and the winter-touched creatures and handed her over. Now rescued, Lady Argentea Malassene encouraged the adventurers to press on and destroy a portal which may bring an army of winter-touched beings through it and create a new Irrisen.

This story is continued in … Part TWO: Depths of Winter

Part I - An Early Frost
ClemCon

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.