Reign Of Winter

Part III - Land of the White Witches
View
Part II - Depths Of Winter
View
Part I - An Early Frost
View
Remero Fleetfingers - A Survivor's Struggle

May 18 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Close Sink Sticky Delete
This thread is for Remero and his adventure with the Taldor Rangers and the story of their battle for control of the Border wood during the wintertouched invasion. This is for Remero to creatively describe his tale with help from the GM.

May 18 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
A great winter had set upon the lodge deep within the Border wood. Without warning or explanation, days of cold weather and severe blizzards had blanketed the lodge and everything around it. Atop the red gorge, High Sentinal Lodge, home of the High Sentinals, known localy as the Taldor Rangers, stood awash in white. Strange sightings had been reported by the scouts of High Sentinal Lodge and a team had been established to investigate further into the source of, what seemed, a magical wintry invasion. Captain Strom Ganderloch, of the High Sentinals, leader of the Taldor Rangers faction, stood before the team of rangers, rogues and recruits, hand selected for this important mission.

Remero Fleetfingers was among the newly trained. He had been hand selected due to his cunning insight into locating traps, disarming traps, and moving without being seen. He would be the scout for the patrol. Strom stood over him and the others, pacing back and forth, encouraging them by reminding them how important the mission was and most likely, if they didn’t return, it meant they were dead.

“Remero has been selected as your scout. He will report directly to me. I have given him special instructions that are imperative to the success of our operation. The rest of you will report to Sergeant Huggins. Is that understood”

A resounding “Yes Sir!”

“Dismissed”, the captain finished. He turned to Remero as he began to leave.

“Remero, I have something for you in my office. Gather everything you will need for your mission and meet me there in one hour. Your detail leaves in two but I have something important to explain.”

May 18 (2 months ago)
Marc M.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Remero had blinked in surprise when the impressive Storm Ganderloch, leader of these Taldoran Rangers he’d fallen in with, personally took him aside and informed him that he had been chosen to act as lead scout on a special mission. Remero figured his little demonstration in the lodge’s practice yard, when he’d defeated 3 other trainees at once, had had its intended effect – he’d wanted to earn a bit of notoriety, but this we more than expected!

He was certain the mission’s goal was identifying the source of this supernatural winter blanketing the forest, as well as the strange sightings reported by Taldoran scouts, He’d wanted to immediately ask Storm some of the dozen questions running through his mind, but the youthful man reined himself in, and responded with a terse “Yes, captain. In one hour. Sir!”

He’d joined these Rangers for several reasons, firstly after a desire to do good and make up for his larcenous past. Second, as a patriotic deed in memory of his deceased parents. But the fact he’d been rather starving and destitute, wandering the wilds between towns when the Rangers had approached him with an offer of lodging and pay, certainly had been a factor!

Remero spent what coin he had left at the lodge’s equipment locker. He selected a flask of alchemist’s fire to deal with whatever hoary horror he might encounter. Parchment and ink for mapping, empty vial for samples, sunrods, flasks of oil. He also took the standard-issue Taldoran winter scouting accoutrement, winter-camouflage, padded and warm. He then went and collected his equipment from the simple trunk at the base of his bunk and went into sharpening his blades, among other preparations.

His father had been from Irrisen, and taught Remero a smattering of Skald as a boy. This white winter-scape outside reminded Remero if his father, made him melancholy …

Such were Remero’s thoughts as he approached the Captain’s office 1 hour later and rapped upon the door…

May 20 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Captain Ganderloch called Remero into his office. “These events are quite troubling”, he began. “I need to know what is going on, no matter what. It may be, unfortunately, that you find yourself in a situation where your patrol is trapped or going to be captured. I know that this might not settle well with you, but I want you to escape, even if it means leaving the patrol to capture. Once we have information about what we are up against, we need to prepare immediately for any impending attack. Even if your patrol declares an attack, Even if they are ambushed, I want you always one step ahead, hiding, spying, sneaking, evading the enemy. Do not turn back to aid them if they are in a dire situation. It is a top priority that we know what we are dealing with. I am giving you several items to help you accomplish this task.” The captain removes a backpack and sets it on the table. “Is this something I can count on you to do for me?”

May 20 (2 months ago)
Marc M.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
A shiver ran through Remero’s as he heard the Captain’s grim words. “He almost sounds like he doesn’t expect this patrol to survive … what in the abyss are we facing here!?!”

“For the greater good of Taldor I will do this, sir, though you are right – it does not settle well with me. But if this threat is as dire as you suggest, then I will hide, and watch our men die if need be, if only to bear witness to the character and composition of our hidden enemy, and bring those tidings back to the Sentinels. I will tell myself that I am saving more lives in the end by doing this …”

“Sir, this will mean I need to travel separately from the main patrol, so that I am not present if they are surprised and set-upon. Yet I will have to be near enough to both guide them and be aware of it if they are set-upon by foes. It will be a tricky maneuver but I believe I can do it.”

Remero took the backpack as he spoke and carefully began to examine its contents …

May 20 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“You will accompany the patrol as a scout. You will leave encoded messages for them using the runecaster I have provided in the bag. They will use a decipher to decode your hidden messages which can only be seen through magical means. Try to give them every chance to survive with good intel, but ultimately I need you to return after planting this fake rock in the enemy compound, if you can find a specific enemy that is. The rock has is a clever disguise for a scrying orb that matches this one in my office. It will transmit images to my orb giving us a great tactical advantage. To help you with this, I have provided a pouch containing dust of disappearance. You will only get one use, so use it quickly and wisely to plant the rock in the best location possible. I want you to gather any other information you can about the enemy and return to me quickly to report what you learn. We need to know where they are from, who they are and what they intend to do. Do they have any weaknesses? What are their numbers? Every bit of information you can provide will help us defend Taldor!”

Searching the contents of the bag, Remero finds the following items:

3 Alchemist Fire
1 Salve of endure elements (cold) (5 uses)
1 Runecaster for creating magical runes
1 Disguised Scrying Stone
1 Messaging Amulet for communicating with the Lodge from great distances 1/day
1 Cloak of elvenkind
1 set of snowshoes
1 shovel
2 Waterskins
1 vial of antifreezing agent for use in waterskins to keep them from freezing (10 uses)
10 trail rations
1 pouch of dust of disappearance
1 potion cure light wounds
1 cold iron dagger
1 spyglass
1 wayfinder

May 22 (2 months ago)
Marc M.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Now that the Lodge has been reclaimed from the Quadirans, Remero will try and use the Messaging Amulet to see if anyone cam be reached.

May 22 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
well .. this is actually a different timeline .. like the other people have individual story threads .. so your story is actually before the quadiran takeover .. does that make sense?

May 23 (2 months ago)
Marc M.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
[My bad, you had mentioned that ;) OK here goes another try]

Remero was thoroughly chilled, the sweat trapped inside his heavy woolen ranger’s outfit serving to send cold shocks into his skin when the unnatural arctic wind found its way past his defenses. He resisted the urge to use the salve of Endure Elements as he might need it later. He pulled out the messaging amulet and vocalized another message to the Captain.

“More than a day out of the lodge, nothing to report yet, I expect … wait, what is that? … Stand by …” I could swear I saw a white figure moving down there, but the flurrying snows might be playing tricks on my eyes … need to get closer.

Several minutes later, after stealthily running a few circuits of the area in question and using the spyglass to scan the encircling hills, Remero could find no trace nor tracks of the white figure he thought he had seen. Must’ve been my imagination … the nonstop whiteness must be dazzling my vision and my wits.

“Never mind, it was probably a trick of snow-blindness. Nothing solid to report, heading North and leaving markers for the patrol now …”

Nevertheless, Remero carefully used the runecaster to leave an encoded warning that he’d spotted something unusual here and caution was warranted. Better safe than skewered …

May 23 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Staying ahead of the patrol, remero scouts ahead for any sign of trouble. The trail takes them deeper into the forest and the weather has turned unbearably cold. Many of the men begin to shiver despite the protection of cold weather gear. Remero is also starting to feel the effects as frost forms on his coat. The snow here is thicker and without the snowshoes, remero would certainly make little progress. From atop a ridge, remero notices a group gathered around a sculpture of ice. What appear to be trees are moving in , providing cover for the group as they speak. Frustrated , remero knows he is going to have to get closer to glean any real I formation. ( 2 cold fort saves. Dc 15 first then dc 16. Winter outfit grants a +5 to these checks)

May 25 (2 months ago)
Marc M.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Remero makes both saves [Rolled in VTT]

Barely able to handle the cold, Remero knew it was time to learn something, some useable information, as he and the patrol would soon freeze to death. He left behind a rune-message warning the patrol and telling them of his intent, along with 2 uses of the Endure Elements salve for the freezing men to use on the most needy of their patrol.

Remero then drew the elven-cloak close about him and stealthily moved down to a point where he could hear something of value. He removed a flask of Alchemist’s Fire and held it in-hand along with his rapier, to be used should things go awry …

May 27 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Stealth check. +4 if you continue to use the cover of the forest to aid you in this

May 28 (2 months ago)
Marc M.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Stealth Check Total 26 [Rolled in VTT]

May 30 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Remero approaches the group with caution, using the forest to disguise his moves. He gets within range to hear the conversation of these unfamiliar creatures. They speak with a tongue of the northern world. (Do you speak Skaald?)

May 31 (2 months ago)
Marc M.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
YES! Remero is pleased to note that he can understand what is being spoken … he leans in closer so as to not miss a word …

May 31 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Remero leans in and listens carefully. A blue creature that appears to be half devil, half ice, addresses a group of men, trees surround the blue devil while blue lights fly about, in and out of the giant talking firs. The half devil continues to address the group, speaking Skald.

“The report is good. We have gained the allegience of a tribe of goblins who will join from the north. Our army of winter wolves, ice wolves, ogres and trolls is ready to move into the portal shortly. A group of raiders, lead by Rokhar, our new ally, currently make arrangements to take Sentinal Lodge. They move, even as we speak, aided by our brethren, to attack. This will soon become a valable asset within New Irrisen. Baba Yaga believes she can stop us with her Black Rider, but we are prepared for the attack. We have already captured her hut and are working to dissolve her hold on Irrisen. Teb Knotten is very pleased with our progress. He will return soon after speaking with our new ice queen with further instructions. We must be prepared to move out at a words notice.” Turning her attention to another, the devil replies “Yes, Hommelstaub?”

Another wintertouched creature, a tiny light, speaks with a high voice, addressing the blue devil. “The report is good, my wintertouched army has moved through the borderwood, securing every place and providing safe passage for the ice queen. She will be very pleased. Several of my sprites wait to ambush any resistance. Even though we chose a remote location, should the neighboring towns get wind of our foothold, we will take care of them. By the time the larger cities are alerted, we will already have this foothold secured.” He laughs loudly. “We will not be stopped Izoze. Not by any southern army!”

A giant tree begins speaking to the group with a slow methodical tone. “I believe we have a visitor.” He slowly states, pointing branches in the direction of Remero.

May 31 (2 months ago)
Marc M.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Remero throws the alchemists fire at the Fir and runs for the hills in the ensuing confusion. As he moves he will pull out the dust of disappearance from his pack and hold it ready to use on himself as a last ditch plan to escape capture!

June 01 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete

The fire launches into the group, exploding in a dazzling display of fire. The sprites, immediately fly away from the blast which catches a tree on fire. It beats its branches on the ground to put it out. Another human-like creature whistles and two giant wolves come quickly to his aid. They bear a harness and he hops upon one, pointing in the direction that Remero ran. They yell quickly to one another, maneuvering themselves for pursuit. The sprites re-gain position and begin to quickly fly off, following the trail of Remero’s steps as they draw tiny bows. A volley of ice shards flies from them towards Remero as they fly. They are quickly gaining on him, dispite his snowshoes.

June 02 (2 months ago)
Marc M.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“Not good. Not good. NOT GOOD!”

“I could try to hide, but those damn wolves will sniff me out for sure unless I keep moving. I’ve only got seconds before they’re ontop of me …”

Remero knows he is probably dead if captured, probably after a round of torture. He would then lose the dust of disappearance anyway, so why not use it?

Pounding at a dead run for the nearest area where he won’t leave tracks, Remero plans to use the dust if he can find such an area …

[Remero is not going to bother using the dust if there is nowhere he can go without leaving obvious tracks in snow; if that is the case he will hide the dust in his boots, leave a quick message CAPTURED! with the runecaster, and surrender.

IF he can find snow-free terrain where he can go invisible and continue moving without tracks, he will use the dust and do so.]

June 02 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Remero takes off into the woods, deeper into the treeline. He comes to an area with thickened trees. Beyond the trees, an outcropping of rock. He could likely disappear up the trees and remove his snowshoes, possibly leaving them in haste. He could make his way from one tree to the next to the outcropping of rocks and then he would just have to do with the wolves scent .. but the outcropping was high enough maybe they couldn’t make it up. Weighing his decisions, he knows he must act quickly. The trees would be easier to climb but moving along them from their branches to the outcropping would take serious time. The outcropping would be much more difficult to climb but may save time in the long run. What to do. Remero can hear the churning of water off in the distance beyond the outcropping. Well .. at least I have options.

June 02 (2 months ago)
Marc M.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Remero makes into the thick stand of trees, he will begin to move stealthily (hide) using the concealment of the woods. He will double-move 25+25=50 feet at -5 penalty as per the PF stealth skill [Total 10 rolled in VTT].

Once he finds a likely tree further in he will ditch the snowshoes and climb the tree [Climb roll 12 total in VTT]. He will then begin to work his way to the outcropping from tree to tree [Acrobatics roll 17 total in VTT].

June 03 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Remero takes a while to find a good spot to climb the tree. Even then, the branches prove just out of reach. He looks back to see a wolf sniffing the ground and a group of wintertouched following closely behind. Just then, a volley of arrows reins down on the wolves and wintertouched from the side. Remero cannot see who they are but he hears their voices and recognizes the rest of the patrol party. They call Remero’s name as they crest a hill with weapons drawn, some launching a second volley. The wolves turn their attention immediately to the new threat and the wolf rider issues a command to attack. From beyond, a group of trees and dancing light approaches to flank the scouting party. Surely they will be overwhelmed by the enemy forces. It does not look good. The ice demon flies into view, landing before the approaching Rangers casting a spell that freezes several men, coating them in ice, turning them into frozen staues. It appears the patrol were outnumbered greatly and facing the demon, many of the men drop their weapons in surrender. This is the chance Remero needs for escape.

June 03 (2 months ago)
Marc M.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“So it comes to this at last. I will honor your final orders Captain Storm. Farewell lads, may you travel the silver winds into the Higher Worlds. You shall be avenged, so swears Remero Fleetfingers.”

With a forlorn glance back, marking every last detail of these horrid enemies for later review, Remero stealthily withdraws and makes for the rocky outcropping. As he makes his way further from the scene of carnage, Remero continues to turn back and view the end result of the battle. Did any of his mates survive as prisoners? Where is the band of icy evil now heading? He will watch them from a safe distance with the spyglass if he can…

[Remero is hoping they’ll head back to base, where he can perhaps free his mates and also hide the scrying stone]

June 04 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
It seems only a moment and remero’s friends have been captured by the winter touched. They are rounded up, disarmed and tied in a line. A small party of winter touched sprites begin scanning the trees for Remero, but he remains hidden beneath he rocks and with luck is not discovered. From his hiding spot, Remero keeps one eye open through a crack between stones. He sees the sprites return and the entire group begins marching away. As night approaches quickly now, the temperature begins to drop significantly.

June 04 (2 months ago)
Marc M.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Remero will use the salve of Endure Elements, but only when he feels he has to (in mechanical terms, before he needs to makes saves and take dmg). Same thing for the antifreeze in his waterskin – use it when the water starts becoming slush.

Giving them about a 1/4 hour lead, he will track the footsteps of the prisoners. He will follow Stealthily and cautiously, only hastening if he feels they’re outpacing him. He will use the spyglass to spot them at a distance when possible.

If/when they stop, Remero will use the shovel to build an ‘igloo’ sort of shelter and also camp for the night. If they do not stop Remero will press on, most likely having to use the salve of E.E.

June 05 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Tracking the group for nearly an hour; it is easy to do by following the massive amount of wolf snowprints, Remero finally succumbs to the cold. The weather is really starting to effect him and he feels like he has become a block of ice. Reluctantly, he uses the salve on his face and hands, the most exposed places. The magical properties of the salve can be felt immediately. His body begins to thaw and relief is soon upon him. Regaining a new confidence, he pushes on. When he stops to take a sip of water, noticing it is beginning to freeze through, he adds the special powder that mysteriously removes the ice, returning it to liquid form. He takes a sip. A strange acidic taste, but a necessary additive.

Remero stops after a few hours of travel. He can see something off in the distance. A bank of quill-like icicles spear outward in a ring, seemingly grown from a heavy sheet of ice covering the ground. A second ring of giant icicle-shaped monoliths stands inside the outer ring, surrounding a swirling cylindrical vortex easily ten feet in diameter. Icy winds and driving snow blast from the vortex, creating wintry weather.
(Perception and Stealth rolls here before we proceed)

June 05 (2 months ago)
Marc M.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“What in the Abyss is that thing?”

Remero creeps closer to get a better view with his spyglass. Did the prisoners get taken into this place?

[Perception: 16 total rolled in VTT ]

[Stealth: 34 total rolled in VTT (natural 20)]

June 06 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Remero sneaks up toward the portal. He can see the beginnings of several campsites being created along a path leading into it. He can see a swirling vortex within the portal where his fellow rangers are being led, one after another inside; each dissappearing in as they enter the vortex to places unknown. Many wolves, wintertouched fey and humanoids move about the portal. From time to time, more creatures emerge from the portal to take their place among the growing army.

June 09 (1 month ago)
Marc M.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Among the forming campsites around the portal, does any one tent stand out as a leader’s tent? For example, a large pavilion with a pennant?

Remero wants to make the scrying stone invisible and put it in this leader-tent if so. Otherwise, a crazy idea is forming in his head … to throw the invisible stone through the portal and hope for the best!

While mulling these thoughts, Remero is watching if there is any opportunity for him to Stealth into the portal himself. He won’t even try if there are wolves/wintertouched guarding it, but if they leave the portal completely untended for several minutes, he will consider it!

June 10 (1 month ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
A large creature seems to stand in guard of the portal. He carries a very large spear and his body is misshapen, twisting as if branches of an ancient tree. Large patches of moss and mushrooms cover his exterior. Several winter-touched sprites encircle the creature as if living within the large tree-beast. There are several locations that would give a clear view of the camps set up here. By placing the stone high upon an outcropping of rock, it could scan the entire campsite and the portal entrance. It seems a wiser use of the stone, and much less likely to get Remero killed.

June 13 (1 month ago)
Marc M.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Remero finds a nice high, sheltered outcropping of rock with an excellent view of the camp, and climbs there. He places the scrying stone solidly and uses the dust to make it invisible.

One job done, as ordered. Not the best, but I know when I’m over matched. I need to get back to the Lodge, get orders from Captain Storm, and organize a rescue party to free my imprisoned Taldorans compatriots. They saved my life, I can do no less.

Remero uses the runecaster to leave a message indicating he’s going back for help. Remero then sets off for the Ranger Lodge …

June 14 (1 month ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Returning to the lodge, Remero discovers it has been over-run by raiders. He decides that if the Captain escaped he must have headed towards Zimar and civilization for help. In search of the captain, he scouts the surrounding area. After making camp near a frozen river, he is awoken by the sound of an adventuring party in search of the lodge. He joins them in making plans to re-secure his post.

This concludes this thread. Remero’s adventures continue beyond the portal.

Remero receives any unused items from his starting gear, 300 XP and important knowledge of the portal and plans for the hostile winter takeover. This gleans him a +2 sense motive check against winter-touched creatures. Should he recover the other half of the scrying stone (by finding it where he left it) he also gains a very valuable tool for future use having both halves in his possession.

June 14 (1 month ago)
Marc M.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Awesome! Hopefully I’ll have a chance to retrieve the scrying stone.

Thanks Casey that was cool, full of thrills and spills!

View
Caelum Tharune - A Capricious Journey

May 02 (3 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Close Sink Sticky Delete
This thread is for Caelum’s magical tale of wonder and discovery. A Sylph wanderer on a hidden quest inspired by magic and dream. This thread is for Caelum and the GM with assistance from others where appropriate.

May 02 (3 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Caelum awoke with a jolt. His back was sore and his head was beaded in sweat. Although the chamber was cool and even a slight breeze came in through the window, the intensity of the vision had left him in a fever. As his eyes adjusted, he could see the others had made no notice of his condition. Fortunately, he had chosen a spot in the back of the hall and the majority of the town stood towards the front of the room. They were all talking over each other while a woman tried to calm them. The Selph had no idea how long he had been entranced and already, the memories began to fade. He struggled to write them down in his parchment book. Caelum kept it handy in his outer coat pocket for just such an occasion. He began to write … (Tell what you envisioned)

May 02 (3 months ago)
Zackary S.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
I saw the vision of the small town again. I could feel the snow melting on my skin…… something felt off this time… I walked into a shop and there was an older lady that was trying to tell my future but then my dream shifted again … to a doll in the hands of a man on the floor of a tavern. the doll was odd looking , old but young with blue eyes and golden hair ………. fey creatures surrounded me but I could not hear them for they whispered and mumbled within their ranks …….. all of a sudden with a group of people fighting …. I fought but was unable to tell whom or what it was. Caelum sets the pen down on his journal and wipes his forehead clear of sweat.The dream seemed way too real this time. He looked back down into the amulet and sighs. some more shouting from the front of the room. Caelum stands up and heads over to the group of villagers. These people …… after I deal with this I should see if I can find this place I’ve been dreaming of.

May 03 (3 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Nearly half the town had gathered to discuss current events. Ionna Teppin had called a meeting to try to calm the nerves of her small township. She cleared her throat and called everyone to order, this time with stern resolve. A tall brutish man spoke over the crowd. “You will sit and listen, NOW!” The room quieted immediately and The councillor began.

" I know there has been some concern lately about the border wood and the strange weather. I know many of you have questions and reports so I would like to try and clear that up now. But, one at a time and with order. Understood! Good". Ionna continued leaving no time for response. "Dansley, you go first. "

An old farmer stood up and addressed the crowd. " Starting last week, something from the border woods has been stealing my cattle. …. " he continued sharing. One after another, the local farmers and citizens shared their concerns.

“Have the Qudiran agents from the north brought some witchcraft upon Taldor?”

“Half my newly planted crops have died from frost …”

" I spotted a giant weasel with a cow in its mouth, carrying it like a dog would a chicken. It had white fur …"

" my son claims he rode on a talking white stag through the forest. I didn’t believe him at first …"

" I heard a noblewoman from Oppara is passing through this month on her way to Zimar …"

" why aren’t the Taldor rangers dealing with this. It’s their job to protect the border wood."

Ionna listened carefully to each observation and report and concern, writing them all down in her ledger. “Are there any other concerns or questions?”

(At this point any player can propose a question if you think the might be at the town meeting)

May 03 (3 months ago)
Zackary S.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
It seems like my visions were right the weird weather … I still need to go talk to the old lady soothsayer .. The fey are messing with these poor villagers.Lets see if I can get paid to root them out…. Two birds one stone. Caelum looks around to see if anyone else speaks. “Hello Councillor, I am Caelum Tharune a traveling magus. I think there are fey creatures hanging about from the reports from your villagers.”

May 05 (3 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“What’s a fey?” a farmer called out from the back. Ionna put her hand up.

“What makes you think that, sir Caelum Tharune?”, Ionna addressed the magus. “Have you dealt with fey before? Fey don’t eat cattle and freeze crops do they? And they don’t bring winter in the spring? I honestly know mostly what I have read in fairy tales about them, but maybe you know something we don’t. Please elaborate. We would love to put an end to whatever is ailing the town, but I”m not convinced its fey quite yet, nor would I know how to properly deal with them. "

(You can roll knowledge nature or any other appropriate knowledge if you think you might know more about them)

May 05 (3 months ago)
Zackary S.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
(rolled a 18 for knowledge nature)

May 05 (3 months ago)
Valdis Supporter
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Jerr would be at the meeting. Jerr considers whether he’s heard of any winter cults active in the area or that might be responsible for this. [Religion check, 5]. But apparently nothing comes to mind.

May 05 (3 months ago)
Zackary S.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“I have studied much …. The Fey are mystical creatures that come from the First World. the Fey are very in tune with nature and the magic of this world.They are very mischievous creatures that love to trick and mess with people.Now I don’t think all the reports your townspeople have given are of fey origin.”Caelum clearing his throat beings to speak again.“Now I would like to request the Councillor that you would fund a group to figure out exactly what is happening in Heldren.”

May 06 (3 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Ionna considers the magus’ proposal. She addresses him with kind words. "I’m sure you could be of some service to us. It may be a good idea to find out whats going on soon, but I have just dispatched a message to Zimar. The Taldor rangers have requested aid and I’m sure they will send some to help get to the bottom of it. Until then, I feel our best course of action is to sit tight and stay in our homes and not let our imaginations get the best of us. Until we have some proof of a “fey” invasion, lets take a more defensive approach. In a few days, we will have some support. I do not believe we are under any threat of attack or impending destruction."

May 06 (3 months ago)
Zackary S.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“A sound decision Councillor. I will be at The Silver Stoat for a few days if you require anything else.” Caelum disappointingly walks out the town hall and into the streets.Well damn…. I still need to see that soothsayer…. maybe tomorrow …. to the tavern to sleep I guess. Caelum heads to the silver stoat rents a room tries to sleep ….

May 07 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Between the cricket chirping in the corner of the room and some minstril singing a song downstairs in the stout, and the stomping around of some sort of dancing; a cat, a bird, some children running around outside the Stout and the smell of delicious pie baking. Sensory overload made it difficult to focus on anything, expecially sleep. Even though it was almost dark, the town showed little sign of rest. Then he could hear the voice out the window. Coming louder, heading down the street.

“On the icy river, the snowman speaks. He calls out in alarm, waiting for the children to play, to devour them. The frozen mistress takes the shard of ice, to pierce the soul of the shaking imp …”

Old Mother Theodora! The Magus sat up, energized.

May 10 (2 months ago)
Zackary S.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Well nows my chance to talk to the soothsayer in my visions…. not like I’m going to sleep. Caelum pushes the sheets off him and puts his traveling clothes back on and heads outside to meet with her.“Good Evening Theodora, I’ve gotta few questions for you I think you might be able to help with.”

May 10 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“I know, my child. Your mind is filled with questions. Let an old woman impart her wisdom upon you” The old mother lifts her wrinkled hand to touch the face of Caelum.“Let me peer into your soul. What do you wish to know, my son”

May 13 (2 months ago)
Zackary S.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“I need to know the source of these visions ….. they drain and tax my body ….”

May 13 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“Very well” The old woman’s eyes gloss over, rolling back into her head. She places her hands on the magus, holding one hand on his forehead and the other, her hand holding his. She peers into his mind, he can feel her presence within his thoughts, probing. “I see a great man and a being of great power.” She goes deeper. “The queen of ice has the power to free the soul trapped with your soul.” She attempts to push further. Then, suddenly, a flash of light pierces Caleum’s mind. “A soul, trapped within a soul”, she screams. The old woman jolts, as energy pours into her body. She begins to open her mouth as if to speak, but then collapses to the floor in a slump.

May 14 (2 months ago)
Zackary S.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Oh man ……………………….. Caelum kneels down, picks up theodora, and heads into the tavern.“Theodora just colapsed in the streets! Can anyone in here help?”.

May 14 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Several patrons ran over, several more looked at each other. “What happened?”, a middle aged farmer asked.

Before anyone could really do anything, Theodora began to stir, babbling incoherently at first and then regaining her senses, mostly. Here eyes still remained back in her head making her appear as one of the famed oracles of history. “I need to rest. I’ll be ok. Just take me home.” She spoke to Caelum as if he was her grandchild. “We will speak further of your future.”

May 18 (2 months ago)
Zackary S.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Her eyes ……. I didnt realize the magic in the amulet was this strong … poor theodora. least i can do is see what else she saw. Caelum helps her up and supports her on his shoulder as they walk back to the soothsayers home.“Are you truly ok? What else did you see?……”

May 18 (2 months ago)
Zackary S.
Permalink Quote Edit Restore
This post has been deleted by the author or a moderator.

May 20 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Old Mother Theodora motions to the couch in her parlor. The room is decorated with many items; a collection of fortune telling memorabia and paraphinalia. The couch is a deep red, decorated with embroidered imps. A table in the center of the room contains a scrying orb and a deck of Harrowing cards. Caelum gently sets Theodora on the couch and takes a seat in the chair across the table from her. “Shuffle the cards for me. I am too weak”

May 20 (2 months ago)
Zackary S.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Caelum cuts the deck by pulling out groupings of cards and putting them at the bottom. After shuffling he nervously hands them to the soothesayer.

May 20 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“Grab a tonic from the bottom left drawer of the desk there. Its the one labeled Tincture of Peppermint root.” She motions to the desk and Caelum obliges. Taking the tincture in, she begins to sit up a little. “Now .. lets start with a basic question. What is your full name?”

May 20 (2 months ago)
Zackary S.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“Caelum Tharune”

May 20 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“Yes”, she says, turning over a card in her hand .. revealing the crown of bones. “I see death in your past. Someone you loved, someone close to you. Your family perhaps .. yes .. and the crown; a leader in your family. But not even a pure death, See these bones .. they show a life in death” Does this mean anything to you my child?"

May 20 (2 months ago)
Zackary S.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Caelum’s face goes from nuetral to depressing he starts slowly .“My father was consumed by the amulet I have around my neck”

May 20 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“Ah .. I understand now, young selph .. It was your father that was communicating with me so strongly when I fell ill in the town square.”

“Next card .. " Theodora turns over the next card carefully, “The hammer of the dwarven king. You search for a way to break open the amulet and release your father. How did he come to take this imprisoned form.”

May 20 (2 months ago)
Zackary S.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“My Father was unable to bring a child into the world and searched for this amulet most of his life ….. once he found it he wished he had a son”

May 21 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Theodora reveals the next card from the deck. A card is laid on the table, an old woman riding a white stag. "Hrmmm .. " Theodora ponders the meaning of the card. “This is a queen of the North. I’m not certain why the deck would reveal this.” She reveals the next card. A metal key with stylized runes. “The deck seems to be saying that there is a link between the freedom of your father from this amulet and the white witches of Irrisen.” She quickly puts the cards away. “Winter is coming young Magus! Are you prepared?” Theodora, tired and drained of energy lays back down on the couch.

May 21 (2 months ago)
Zackary S.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Caelum’s face lightens up at theodoras words.I’ve finally found some clue to saving my father after years of research and travel…… I’ve never been anywhere that got to cold in the winter …. “I’ve never been so far north …. and thank you theodora I know that must have drained you so”

May 22 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“Don’t mention it my child. Just know that this prophecy tells of a dark omen hanging over you. When winter comes, you must be prepared, for the opportunity you seek will come to you .. But remember, with desire often comes sacrifice.” With this last statement, Theodora falls into a deep sleep.

THIS ENDS THIS STORYLINE FOR CAELUM. FUTURE ADVENTURES AWAIT HIM IN THE NEXT INSTALLMENT

300 XP Gained
+1 Insight Bonus to saves, armor, attacks and damage against wintertouched creatures from a prophetic link to the future.

View
Scram & Godric - The Great Hunt

May 15 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Close Sink Sticky Delete
This thread is a shared storyline for Godric and Scram (They have both finished their personal story and now share the action in this exciting tale)

May 15 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
The morning sun rose quietly in the sky. Scram had become accustomed to the strange people who lived in the cabin below his tree lookout. The smell of deermeat frying in a pan was an aroma pleasing to the senses as it arose from the chimney of the small log cabin at the edge of the Border wood. Godric opened the cabin door, carrying a plate of cooked deermeat and bread made from forest wheat. The green color of the bread was something that bothered neither the ranger or the druid. They were both used to, and appreciated, such finer things the forest had to offer. Godric offered the plate up to Scram, who stretched his muscles after a comfortable night of stargazing and rest. “Simril says we have to go collect firewood this morning from the giant tree he’s been carving up. He said we need to ‘Earn our keep’ this morning. Plus he’s old and he needs the help”

May 15 (2 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Scram holds up a wood carving he’s been working on. “I need more wood too.”

May 16 (2 months ago)
ken s.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“I’ll Head out back and gather the axes. Scram you go ahead and finish your meal.” Godric heads out back to the wood shed to collect a pair of leather gloves and an ax.

May 18 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
The two skilled naturalists, head off into the woods, easily following the trail marked for them. They come, at last, to a great tree fallen in the woods. Parts of it had already been chopped and a pile of rough logs had been created to one side.

May 18 (2 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Scram starts chopping, saving any scrap pieces for carving.

May 19 (2 months ago)
ken s.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Pausing to wipe the sweat from his brow, Godric, takes a minute to enjoy the fruits of a days labor.

May 20 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Working for hours, the two begin to amass a large pile of logs and firewood. The cart they brought with them is filled to the top and they work together to drag it back to the house. As they move along the trail, they hear something like a low whispering voice from within the woods .
Perception checks

May 20 (2 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
5+6=11

May 20 (2 months ago)
ken s.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
(perception)14+4=18

May 20 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Scram looks around for a source of the sound, trying to pick out what it is saying. Godric stands still and studies the movement of the wind. It speaks in a low whisper as a song, echoing through the forest. The language is common enough, though hard to make out more than a few words upon the wind. The fallen ….. calls …. you …bring to … winter’s caress The sound echoes through the trees to meet the ranger’s ears.

May 20 (2 months ago)
ken s.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
" Scram ready your weapons I have an uneasy feeling! I can only make out something about the fallen." Survival (12+4=16) to look for track

May 21 (2 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Scram will look for tracks as well (Survival: 9+9=18). “I ready. Brother ready too.”

May 21 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Unable to see any tracks, Godric and Scram scan the forest once more, upon a ridge, a giant white elk stands looking in their direction. He blinks and disappears over the ridge. A mystical blue swirling magic seems to follow his trail as he disappears from view.

May 21 (2 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Scram looks at Godric, “Who gets kill gets best meat?”

May 21 (2 months ago)
ken s.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Godric looks at Scram with an impish grin" the games are afoot. To the Hunt!"

May 21 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
The two look at each other, and with a competitive grin, they abandon their cart, drawing their weapons and leap into the forest, blazing a trail towards the ridge. Arriving at the ridge, they look out into the forest to see if they can spot the deer. Perception check to see it, Survival to locate and follow tracks.

May 21 (2 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Perception: 2+6=8 Survival: 17+9=26

May 22 (2 months ago)
ken s.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Perception: 13, 14 if in ice or snow Survival 25, or 26 if in ice or snow

May 23 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Peering out into the forest, neither Orc nor human are able to perceive the elk. Luckily, the snow covering the ground here makes it easy to follow a set of elk hiofprints. They race off , following the tracks until they stop at a frozen stream.

May 23 (2 months ago)
ken s.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“Scram, We must find away across this stream.” Looking around for a safe crossing. Perception:10+6=16

May 24 (2 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
(How wide is the stream?)

May 27 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
The stream would be easy for you to cross, however tracking where and when the elk exitedthe stream may prove challenging. Give it a survival and let’s see how you do

May 27 (2 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Survival: 7+9=16

May 27 (2 months ago)
ken s.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Survival: 9+5=14 and ice or snow 15

May 30 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Unable to track the elk further, Scram and Godric begin to get frustrated. Knowing it couldn’t have just dissappeared, they double check the area. Soon, however, they hear the voice once more. This time from within the trees themselves. The voice speaks in a riddle. “As beautiful as the setting sun, As delicate as the morning dew; An angel’s dusting from the stars that can turn the Earth into a frosted moon”

May 30 (2 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“Why trees talk about snow?”

May 30 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“Why do you seek the snow-touched elk small orc? Do you wish to feast upon its delicate flesh like a savage? I know your heart. It is impure.”

May 30 (2 months ago)
ken s.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Godric begins to ponder the riddle. There must be something important about the snow. " There is nothing more pure than the hunt. It is as simple as nature can get."

May 30 (2 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Scram nods. “We hunt because we stronger, hungry. We hunt until something stronger, hungry hunt us.”

May 31 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“A very interesting proposition .. Something stronger .. yes .. something fierce, like you. Only something fierce and cunning should hunt the hunter” A strong wind blows through the trees, a cold snap of chilling air blows through the woods. Godric and Scram begin to see their breath in the frosty air.

May 31 (2 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“I think I say wrong thing.”

May 31 (2 months ago)
ken s.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“i think we should ready our weapons” Godric readies his bow.

June 01 (2 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Scram draws his greataxe.

June 01 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete

Expecting to see the giant Elk come barreling out of the forest at them, the hunters are quite surprised when a massive weasel comes bounding out of the forest line and leaps across the river in one fell swoop. It moves smoothly across the ground, almost slithering like a snake, before pouncing with teeth bared.

June 02 (2 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Scram Initiative: 18+2=20 Brother Initiative: 1+3=4

June 02 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Don’t you have a readied attack? I know Godric does .. I assume you did too. maybe not though since you just have your axe .. I guess Godric can unleash an arrow and they you guys can go with initiative .. The creature is not basing you quite yet. I’m going to basically give you guys your turn to react before its turn since we are posting

June 02 (2 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
I’m just used to rolling initiative when combat starts. I will certainly attack the weasel if it comes within range.

June 02 (2 months ago)
ken s.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
attack: 12+6=18 Damage: 5+2=7

initiative: 5+4=9

June 03 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
An arrow pieces the creature. It growls at Godric making him the likely target of his next attack. Leaping in the air, he pounces down on Godric with great force, slashing at him with its giant claws. (Scram may use his readied attack first)

June 03 (2 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Scram swings his greataxe wildly, trying to protect his friend (rolled a 1).

June 03 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
The beast strikes out at Godric with a mighty claw slashes as it pounces, but Godric steadies himself and moves to the side to avoid the assualt at the last moment. The Weasel hisses in frustration now standing, towering over the half-orc and human (Your turns)

June 03 (2 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Scram moves to a flanking position with Brother and swings (4+6+2=12, probably miss?).

Brother attacks (18+2+2=22, 14+2+2=18, 3+2+2=7)

4 bite damage, 4 claw

June 03 (2 months ago)
ken s.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Godric draws two arrows releasing them in rapid succession: 9+7-2=14 and 19+7-2=24 damage rolls 2+2=4 and 6+2=8.

June 04 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Taking a step back from the beast, Godric releases a volley ( make sure you don’t forget to do this next time ken). One arrow gets caught by the creatures tough skin and thick fur. The other finds a home within it’s soft underbelly. It winces in pain. Brother bites and slashes at the giant weasel’s leg, tearing into it with his sharp teeth. The weasel turns its attention to brother, using a claw to pin it down momentarily, it bites brother behind the neck. Latching on with its strong teeth, it picks brother into the air, carrying him like a rag doll. (Brother takes 7 damage and becomes grappled in essence by the weasels mouth. i hit a cmd of 28 so I’m pretty sure that grapples him)

June 04 (2 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Yes, that definitely hits. So are they considered to be grappling now, which means Brother would get his bite, 1 claw, and rake on his next action, and are he and Scram still considered to be flanking? Do we need to roll new initiatives or keep going with these?

June 04 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Keep going with your turns. You will both post, then myself. Brother can still attack from within the jaws of the weasel but is hindered by grappling rules. They are in the guide somewhere in the combat section. You will not get a flank unless Godric moves back up on his turn. You and ken can post in either order each round. It is basically you two , then me. Etc. I will re-read about this attack that the weasel gets and update if needed

June 04 (2 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Ok, Scram swings again (18+5=23, 12+6=18 damage). Then, as far as I can tell, Brother gets his bite and 1 of his claws at -2 attack, plus a free rend (2 claws at 1d4+1 damage): Bite and claw were both 9’s, which should miss, rend claws are both 3+1 for a total of 8 damage.

June 04 (2 months ago)
ken s.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Taking a 5 foot step away from the animal, Godric draws and fires a volley of arrows at the weasel attacks: 16+7-2=21 and 13+7-2=18 Damage:4+2=6 and 2+2=4

June 04 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
After taking heavy damage from the fierce hunters, the weasel looks like it could fall at any moment. He continues to grind into brother once more, tossing him in the air to land with a thud against a tree. His claws, slashing fiercely at Scram, but misses him. (brother takes 6 damage from the bleeding bite and 3 subdual damage from hitting the tree. Hissing, the weasel begins to fall to the ground, weakened by the arrows littering its hide and the gashes from blades.

June 04 (2 months ago)
ken s.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“Scram lets finish this! We need to check on brother he took a beating in our defence.”

June 04 (2 months ago)
ken s.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Godric again draws 2 arrows releasing them in rapid secession: 4+7-2=9 miss and 12+7-2=17 damage 3+2=5

June 04 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
The final peg in the coffin. The giant weasel topples to the ground. As it does, the corpse bursts into a blast of arctic wind and snow leaving nothing behind. The voice beckons once more. “You have solved winter’s riddle, and proven yourself against winter’s teeth. What remains is winter’s caress. Should you survive, I will bestow upon you winter’s gift.” The air begins to chill once more. The temperature drops greatly as the cold bites at the hunter’s flesh. (roll survival or fortitude P.S. This is before you have any winter gear!)

June 04 (2 months ago)
ken s.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Survival: 18+7=25

June 05 (2 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Can I cast Endure Elements as soon as the temperature starts dropping? If not, Survival: 3+9=12

June 05 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Brother needs a save and do you have endure elements at level 1 and would you have had it prepared that day? remember this is your level 1 character. It totally makes sense if you do have it .. and you can cast it after this first save since you didn’t have it up before. After I apply damages you guys can take a turn to do something

June 05 (2 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
I did have it at level 1, Brother’s Fortitude: 16+5=21

June 06 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Scram is bitten by the cold. The cold stings him for 5 subdual damage. Not liking that he will proabaly cast endure elements as soon as possible. Brother and Godric shrug off the cold. The temperature drops suddenly once again, the wind picking up and the ice and snow pelting against the hunters with increasing intensity. (You have one round to do something then a second survival check is required, unless you cast endure elements)

June 06 (2 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Scram casts Endure Elements on himself.

June 06 (2 months ago)
ken s.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Godric will wrap his bedroll around himself

June 07 (1 month ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Godric looks rediculous! The wind continues to blow even harder, the temperature dropping to well below freezing. (Second Survival Checks except Scram)

June 07 (1 month ago)
ken s.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Survival check:12+7=19

June 08 (1 month ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Brother: 14+6=20 Fortitude

June 08 (1 month ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
The winter does its best against the two hunters who endure against it’s icy grip. With one more trick up her sleeve, winter blows even hard, sending pelting ice at Scram and Godric as temperatures drop to unimaginable depths. Even the magical spell of protection woven around Scram falters under the extreme temperature. (Winter’s bite deals 4 lethal cold damage and also requires an additional fortitude save. This fortitude save will be a difficult one so roll well my friends and good luck)

June 08 (1 month ago)
ken s.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
5+4=9 fort save

June 08 (1 month ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Scram: 4+6=10, Brother: 15+5=20

June 08 (1 month ago)
ken s.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
(ooc) so much for good luck!

June 09 (1 month ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Both Scram and Godric become overwhelmed by the sheer extreme of the weather surrounding them. (5 additional subdual damage and they become fatigued What are your HP levels. Lvl 1 Characters. Include the weasel fight and the Winter Chilling Rounds)

June 09 (1 month ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Scram is at 8 with 6 subdual damage (I assume Northern Ancestry’s Cold Resistance 2 affects both of them), Brother is at 1 with 3 subdual.

June 09 (1 month ago)
ken s.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
godric is at 13hp with 5subdual

June 10 (1 month ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Impressive. The winter has deemed you worthy to be chosen for greatness. I will bestow upon you winter’s gift. May it serve you in the cold days ahead. With this, the voice fades away while two individual large snowflakes begins to fall from the sky. One heading towards Godric, the other towards Scram.

June 10 (1 month ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“Umm, we run talking snow?”

June 10 (1 month ago)
ken s.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
No, this is a gift from nature. we should embrace it.

June 11 (1 month ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“Ok…” Scram looks at the snowflake dubiously as it approaches him. “Where Brother gift? He help.”

June 11 (1 month ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
The snowflake falls on the back of Godric’s hand, glowing a brief blue as a wisp of cold energy travels through his veins. Scram decides to eat the snowflake. You don’t really feel any different, but a moment later a flood of winter imagery fills your mind. You realize that, given the right circumstances, you could tap into these memories to bring forth winter’s gift.

Boon: Winter’s Gift. Once Per Day, you may call upon the memories of winter to aid in any skill, attack, save, etc dealing with the Cold Descriptor or from a cold condition. This may be completed as an immediate action. Examples include, but are not limited to, increasing AC by +2 against a wintertouched creature, +2 to a save against a spell with the cold descriptor or +2 survival in snow or ice.

June 12 (1 month ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
(I assume this has to be done before the die is rolled?)

June 14 (1 month ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
This should be done in advance of an attack but could be done as an immediate response to being attacked or being asked to make a save etc.

Also you both get 400 XP from this thread .. I forgot to mention that part.

This concludes this Thread. Further adventure awaits beyond the portal

View
Baldor of Beorn - A Quiet Meditation

May 03 (3 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Balfor meditated quietly in the solace of the garden Argus had created behind his home. You would not have thought a dwarf could create such a masterpiece or be in such harmony with nature. Being a half-elf, Balfor had inherited a knack for appreciating the beauty in nature as well as the creativity humans often wielded. Sitting in. Meditative trance, Balfor would spend countless hours gaining wisdom from both the heavens, the earth itself, and from within his own soul. His path was a narrow one. Today was no different. As the sun rose, Balfor’s quiet meditation began. Time unravelled and his consciousness entered a state of harmony. This is why he did not notice the first flake fall and land on the petals of the tallvine fireflower, or the second land on the statue of the old frog, or the third, land on the tip of his outstretched pinky finger. As his eyes finally opened, awakening from his meditation, the garden was under assault by a hundred thousand tiny snowflakes.

View
Vendjavier & Jerr - In Search Of Secrets

June 04 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Close Sink Sticky Delete
This thread is for Venjavier and Jerr to explore the mysterious Demitris family library.

The best way to describe the experience was absolute wonderment! As soon as Venjavier entered through the portal, he found himself in a room full of wonder. Shelves from floor to ceiling filled with books, a table in the middle of the room with an everburning torch providing a warm light and comfortable reading area. A single oversized chair sat in one corner of the room with a small end table beside it. A decantor rested on a shelf underneath with several empty glasses turned on end. A fireplace on the other end of the room remained unlit for the time but held a supply of wood, ready to be lit. A side chamber contained a laboratory, stocked with all sorts of alchemical supplies and glassware. A wizards paradise. Given the nature of the door giving access to this place, Vendjavier couldn’t help but wonder where this place actually existed in time and or space.

The young apprentice wasted little time getting started on the task and the more time he spent in the room, he felt like he wanted more. Knowledge fed knowledge’s desire. To most, to catalogue such a collection would be an unsurmountable challenge, but the wizard did not falter nor slow down in his search for knowledge. He started by separating the books by type and forming some sort of system of categorization. Many books were unfamiliar to Venjavier in both language and purpose.

Other rooms lead off of this one with intricately carved doors holding great secrets beyond, no doubt. The curiosity of the whole place was overwhelming. After a few days of work, Venjavier was surprised when the main doorway opened, and not Avelton, the old wizard, but a halfling walked through. He was dressed in cleric’s vestments and levitated above the ground, giving him the illusion of height.

June 04 (2 months ago)
John F.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“Hail. I am Vendjavier Vairohta. I am in the employ of the Cornelius Demitris,” says Vendjavier as he bows slightly. Obviously this halfling has been given permission to enter, but Vendjavier wonders what his interests might be and…where, or how, he got those interesting boots.

June 05 (2 months ago)
Valdis Supporter
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
The halfling takes a moment to look back at the doorway, clearly intrigued by its construction, but answers instead in an enthusiastic and rushed manner, “I am Jerr, a friend of Ten Frimm. This place is incredible, I am sure we can find something useful here.” Jerr begins to float, somewhat erratically and clearly without method, along the shelves, browsing the books, “Chelixian history, alchemical theory, literary critiques of Linnormian literature. No, no, not it. There’s something about the gods here, isn’t there?” Spotting the fireplace, Jerr floats down to it. “A bit more light always helps.” And he sets to work building a fire, finally slowing down for a moment, he asks “What kind of work are you doing here?”

June 06 (2 months ago)
John F.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Vendjavier is a little taken aback at the excited behavior of the halfling, but after taking a deep breath he heads toward Jerr at the fire. “Pleased to meet you, Jerr.” Vendjavier didn’t feel a need to be secretive about his position since the halfling had obtained access to library. “Well, I will answer your second question first. I was hired by Cornelius Demitris to catalogue this library and to translate some texts for him. As for your first question, yes there are more than a few pieces here on the gods. Are you looking for something of an overview on all of the gods or did you have a certain god in mind?”

June 07 (1 month ago)
Valdis Supporter
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Jerr continues to work on setting up a fire. He seems to be taking some care in the effort. “What’s the goal, are you looking for something specific here?” Jerr steps back a few steps and raises his hand, from which a jet of fire shoots forth to light the fire he’s built. Turning to look at the wizard as the fire starts, he pulls a wand out of his pockets. “We’re curious about this item, and want to learn more about it.” From around his neck he pulls off an ornate silver holy symbol of Saranrae and holds it against the wand. Jerr holds it forward and a fiery scimitar bursts forth from the wand. Moving it so Vendjavier can see it better, he says, “Ten Frim says its only a replica that creates an illusion, the person he bought it from claims it’s the god’s rod.”

June 07 (1 month ago)
John F.
Permalink Quote Edit Restore
This post has been deleted by the author or a moderator.

June 07 (1 month ago)
John F.
Permalink Quote Edit Restore
This post has been deleted by the author or a moderator.

June 07 (1 month ago)
John F.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“I can help you better if you will allow me to examine the item.” Vendjavier cleans an area on a nearby table and asks Jerr to place the weapon on the table. as Jerr places the weapon on the table the wizard moves across the room to retrieve a small bowl and then stops at another shelf to pick up a dark bottle of liquid before returning to the table. “This will in no way damage your item, but it may give me more insight into how it works.” Vendjavier pours some of the liquid into the bowl. It is a dark red with a fruity smell. The wizard then reaches into a pouch he has strapped around his waist a removes a feather. He begins to chant in a strange tongue as he stirs the liquid with the feather in his right hand. After a few seconds he says one more phrase, increasing the emphasis on the last note while making a quick motion with his left hand. The wizards eyes flash a bright blue glow briefly before returning to normal. (Casts identify) “That’s step one.” The wizard begins to chant again. The words are foreign to Jerr, but like the first time, he can feel that they carry some magical power. The wizard moves his hands in quick series of gestures while emphasizing the last three syllables of the magical phrase. Vendjavier’s eyes flash brightly and then continue dimly glow a soft blue color. (Casts Detect Magic) “Step two. Now just permit me a minute or two.”

OOC: These rolls (in VTT) don’t include any bonuses for having access to books or scrolls located in this library. Let me know if I need a different check rolled. I deleted the old post so it would post “new”. Then I accidentely deleted the second post. Glad I still had it on clipboard :p

Spellcraft check to identify the item and its abilities, triggers, and so on: 43 (rolled a 20)

Knowledge (religion) check to know about Saranrae: 23

Knowledge (religion) check to know about the real god’s rod: 18

Knowledge (history) check to know about the real god’s rod: 21

Appraise check to determine value of item (to see if Ten-Frim paid a reasonable price): 29 (rolled another 20)

June 08 (1 month ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Venjavier had spent a week already in the library and had a good idea where to begin. he pulled several books off the shelf and began flipping pages, taking notes on a parchment. As he read more and more, he began to get very excited about the rod in Jerr’s possession. It seemed that, there might be more to it that appeared on the surface. If it was a facsimile, it was a very good one. According to a book called The Complete Guide to Ancient Artifacts of Thassailon and the New Kingdoms, the God Rod, formally known as the rod of immaculate devotion, was not a rod at all but an artifact created from three parts. The rod of truth, the immaculate jewel and staff of devotion. From the description, there is a possibility, perhaps a remote one, that the rod in Jerr’s possession is the rod of truth. It is described as a similar rod which, when wielded amplifies the power given to any follower of a greater deity. Furthermore, the greater the power, the greater the manifestation in the rod. The fact that Jerr produced anything at all from the rod would seem to mean that he was greatly devoted to the cause of the Dawnflower and had been gifted by her as a true follower.

Venjavier had noticed the holy symbol around Jerr’s neck and identifies it easily as the holy symbol of the goddess Saranrae. Known to her faithful as the Dawnflower, the Healing Flame, and the Everlight, Sarenrae teaches temperance and patience in all things. Compassion and peace are her greatest virtues, and if enemies of the faith can be redeemed, they should be. Yet there are those who have no interest in redemption, who glory in slaughter and death. From the remorseless evil of the undead and fiends to the cruelties born in the hearts of mortals, Sarenrae’s doctrines preach swift justice delivered by the scimitar’s edge. To this end, she expects her faithful to be skilled at swordplay, both as a form of martial art promoting centering of mind and body, and so that when they do enter battle, their foes do not suffer any longer than necessary. Sarenrae is known to be among the early gods that battled Rovagug in defending creation. During this magnificent war of prehistory, the Dawnflower cast down Rovagug to the center of the world. It is believed that after Asmodeus bound the Beast there, Sarenrae placed therein the raging flames of the sun as an eternal torment. Sarenrae counts all non-evil gods as companions, and even communicates with evil deities in the hopes of converting them from their dark ways. She has some distrust for Asmodeus due to arguing over the souls of the dead. Her only true enemy is Rovagug. Sarenrae manifests as a bronze angelic beauty, with golden hair composed of flowing flame. From one hand emits a holy light which trickles down like liquid luminescence, whereas the other holds a scimitar emblazoned with radiant fire. Her holy light provides healing and sustenance, while the scimitar creates gusts of winds that remove disease and fear

If this rod was indeed a part of the tree pieces of the greater artifact, the rod of immaculate devotion, whatever price Ten-Frim had payed was not enough. Further testing would be required. If only we had some undead to test that rod out on. Venjavier thought to himself. It seems that since Saranrae is the goddess of light, the rod has taken on great properties of the manifestation of this type of energy. While it may not deal any true damage to, a human for example, it may prove to have potent abilities against undead or truly evil entities.

June 08 (1 month ago)
John F.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
After he has exhausted the libraries resources, Vendjavier picks up his notes and shares his observations with Jerr. “To it all up, it is possible that this is a part of the god’s rod. The piece called the rod of truth. The rod of truth, like this item, has the ability to match the powers your diety grants you. Hence the transformation into a scimitar, Saranrae’s weapon, as opposed to a sword, mace or other weapon. It can also magnify your diety’s power through you. To know if this is the case, however, we would need to test it. I believe the optimal test would be with an undead creature. Saranrae’s strong desire to eradicate the unliving would be the perfect test to prove if this is indeed, the rod of truth. The test, however, comes with a certain level of…danger. If is the rod of truth, it would be devastating to the creatures. However, if it is not the rod.. well, let’s just say…things could get ugly.” Vendjavier feels exhilarated by research and the findings and he hopes that Jerr feels the same. “If you decide to test the item, please allow me to accompany you. My interest is truly piqued. If it is not the rod of truth, my magical skills could help make any battles safer. But if this is truly the rod of truth, it could be the beginning of some interesting adventures. Something that Heldren is lacking, at least for me. If you choose not to test it, I would like thank you for at least allowing me to examine such an interesting item.”

June 08 (1 month ago)
Valdis Supporter
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
While Vendjavier had searched the library, Jerr had conducted his own investigations, levitating slowly among the stacks, sometimes aimlessly drifting while reading a particularly interesting book. But whereas Vendjavier was disciplined in his investigations, Jerr drifted from one subject to the next, and quickly got led astray. When Vendjavier spoke, Jerr floated over to listen to what he’d found.

“An experiment?” Jerr sounds excitedly, obviously not at all concerned about the danger. “Great, when? Should we go now? Wait, where will we go? There aren’t any undead around Heldren are there? Maybe we should ask Zaarida. If any of the foul creatures are near, I’m sure she’d know. And then we could help out the town while learning more.” Jerr says with the absolute conviction of the faithful.

June 08 (1 month ago)
John F.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Vendjavier is extremely excited. He is jumping for joy in his mind, but takes a calming breath so as not to act like a fool. He doesn’t like to come off as childish. “That would be wonderful if Zaarida knows of somewhere we can test your item. If she doesn’t perhaps Avelton, a wizard retainer of the Demitris family, could help. I am ready when you are. If not now, you can find me either here or at the apothecary.”

June 09 (1 month ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
@Jerr
Zaarida looks around and with a disconcerted look on her face. “Undead, here in Heldren. May the Dawnflower’s light never allow such a thing” She looks back and forth once again and with a quiet voice continues. “I understand your desire to destroy such unholy things, but I am certain you would not find such creatures here. Why do you ask? Have you seen or heard something?”

@Vendjavier
Vendjavier approaches Avelton with the question. The old wizard raises one eyebrow suspiciously. “There are no such foul creatures in Heldren, I would hope. I have heard tale of some unexplored haunted cairns nearby, although I would consider them more stories for young teens to dare one another to enter. Ghost tales. Why the interest in such unnatural things all of a sudden?”

June 09 (1 month ago)
John F.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“A halfling priest brought me an item to look at. It is most remarkable. In fact, my tests and research show that it is quite possible the device is the rod of truth. To know for sure, the priest…and I, would like to test the item. The rod of truth has the ability to increase a priest’s connection to his or her god, then it should be quite destructive to undead in this cleric of Saranrae’s hands. I would like to accompany the halfling as an observer and as an ally to help prevent any…mishaps.” Vendjavier pauses and then asks, “Where are these cairns you speak of located? If the stories are true, perhaps this would be a good testing ground.”

June 09 (1 month ago)
Valdis Supporter
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Jerr looks thoughtful, “I’m glad to hear there has been no such tales, but Ten-Frimm has loaned me an item that may hold great power over the undead and other evil creatures. It may hold great promise, but we must test it to determine if it is an item of power or just a trinket.” Jerr considers it a moment, then says, “Maybe someone else in town might know of recent dangers? The sheriff perhaps?”

June 10 (1 month ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
@ Jerr
“Well, as interesting as that sounds, I certainly wouldn’t want you to be placed in harms way. You have been a great asset to us here, and the orphans love you. Maybe it is best that such a device be kept away from use, until such a time arose where it was absolutely necessary. I doubt Ionna would be involved with such things. I suppose you could ask her chief investigator. That fellow with the short horns on his head. He seems like he might know such things. I don’t usually like to judge people, but there is something strange about a fellow with a demonic something growing out of their skull. Can’t seem to trust that. You could also ask that old seer. She seems to always know more than she should. Although, she speaks mostly in riddles.”

@Venjavier
“Follow the old trails to the north, and you will find the cairns. They are dug into a series of small hills rising up from the ground. The old trails have been abandoned for a time now and may be difficult to track these days. You might employ a tracker or hunstman before partaking in such a journey. I do not know of any off hand. There used to be an old man who lived outside the village. Simril was his name. But he’s got to be as old as I, if not older.”

June 10 (1 month ago)
Valdis Supporter
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Jerr will thank Zaarida for the advice, and seek out Vendjavier to see if he has any advice, “Zaarida knows of no such creatures nearby. They’d be a great danger to the town if there were any, so I hope its true. Its posible the town’s investigator might know something, maybe further out of town. Were you able to find out about anywhere we could conduct this experiment?”

June 10 (1 month ago)
John F.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“Avelton suggested the old cairns north of town. He said we would need a woodland guide to take us through the trails, though. He mentioned an old man named Simril. He said he might be able to give us the name of someone we could employ. He lives outside the village. What do you think?” Vendjavier says to Jerr.

June 11 (1 month ago)
Valdis Supporter
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“I know little of the surrounding area, a guide would be of great use. And, of course if the experiment goes horribly wrong, more help would be welcomed.”

June 11 (1 month ago)
John F.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“Let’s head to see this Simril, then.” Vendjavier and Jerr head north of town. With the directions from Avelton the pair easily find the old man’s cottage. “I am well versed in magic, history and other intellectual pursuits, but I seem to be a little…deficient…when it comes to dealing with most people. You seem to be a very likable individual, however. Perhaps you should be the one to deal with this Simril person.” (Vendjavier only has a 10 Charisma and 0 Diplomacy modifier)

June 12 (1 month ago)
Valdis Supporter
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Jerr does indeed seem likable, or at least enthusiastic (16 cha). “I don’t remember meeting Simril at the festival, maybe he was over by the minotaur. Did you give it a try? Sara thought it looked a bit too fun. Or maybe more fun to watch. I think one of the men almost cleared the statue.” As they approach the cottage, Jerr takes a look around for any residents.

June 12 (1 month ago)
John F.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“I did not attend the festival. Like I said, I’m not very good with people. Books and scrolls are a different story, though.” Vendjavier also looks for any sign of life. (Perception 4) "When we find a guide, I will need a night to prepare spells for our “test”."

June 14 (1 month ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Jerr and Venjavier decide to head out to discover these hidden cairns and hopefully test out their theories about the rod. Locating Godric, a local huntsman and tracker, they employ him to assist in locating the Cairn. He agrees and the three of them head out in search of trouble.

After a week of exploring the cairn, careful not to disturb any graves, Jerr insisted, they wait and wait. Godric checks on them the next morning, having slept outside, not wanting to sleep in a haunted cave, to find they have made little progress. No undead here from the looks of it. They leave the cairn for now, disappointed but still curious about the rod and the power it holds.

Upon returning to town, They discover that strange things are being reported. The god’s wood seems to be experiencing winter like conditions and strange creatures have been spotted along the countryside. For the next few days, work keeps Venjavier busy and Jerr is tasked with a special function at the orphanage. Before they know it, they are thrust into a series of events that will throw them into chaos.

This concludes this Thread. Their stories will continue beyond the portal.

300 XP each and gain access to the library of Demetris family (for the future) and an ongoing mission.

View
Scram & Brother - A Wild Tale

April 21 (3 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Close Sink Sticky Delete
The air was crisp and cold when Scram awoke. Frost covered the ground below the tree hut he had constructed deep within the forest to the south and west of Heldren. The strange thing about this frost was that it was way past time for it. Spring had arrived in Taldor, and rarely did frost creep this far south during this time of year. Even brother seemed perplexed by the frost that covered the forest floor. Brother leaped from the hut to check it out, rubbing his nose into the foliage. When his head lifted, icy flakes stuck to his nose and face. He looked up playfully at Scram, pawing away the icy glaze.

Quickly and suddenly a flock of birds took flight as if disturbed from their rest by some unknown force. A heard of deer sprung into view, bouncing away through the woods, only stopping for a moment when they felt the presence of the jungle cat.

Attuned to the natural world around him, scram felt a disturbance in the forest, as if the forest itself cried for help.

April 24 (3 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Scram drops down from his tree hut (little more than an improvised lean to) into a crouch, closes his eyes and puts his hands on the ground, letting the forest’s energy flow through him, trying to sense where the disturbance is coming from. Brother, we look. Knowledge (Nature): 16 Perception: 12 Survival: 23

April 25 (3 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Gaining great insight from his surroundings, Scram quickly discerns that the activity seems to be originating from the direction of the lodge within the forest. The air coming from the direction of the lodge even seems colder than the rest as if some cold winter storm was moving in. Even as he peered deeper within the forest in that direction,looking down the wooded trail, Scram could make out tiny white flecks in the air. Snow?.. It couldn’t be. It shouldn’t be … How?

April 25 (3 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Scram put his hand down to call Brother over, and begins moving down the trail towards the lodge.

April 25 (3 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Scram knew the trail well. He had moved along the trail in and out of the woods several times. The Taldan rangers called it High Sentinel Lodge. It did sit high upon a hill overlooking the gorge where the river ran wild and fast. Scram had observed the lodge from a distance, overhearing the rangers conversations and watching them with some level of fascination. They seemed a decent group of humans, but Scram wasn’t taking any chances. One time, a group of Taldan rangers had nearly tracked him down and exposed his hideout location. After that, Scram had kept a better distance.

As Brother approached the head of the trail that branched off to lead to the top of the lodge he stopped abruptly, his fur stood up on end and he looked up into the trees, uncertain of what was there. The air here was even more crisp; in fact, the bite from the air started to give Scram shivers as he approached Brother.

April 25 (3 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
What wrong?, Scram whispered quietly, reaching out with his senses (Perception: 8) and quietly casting Detect Magic.

April 25 (3 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Scanning the treeline with his keen senses, Scram could not pick out anything within the trees above. Frustrated, he began speaking the words of a familiar spell; one to reveal the very unexplainable fabric of the universe. His eyes glowed with a mysterious light as he once again scanned the forest canopy for any sign of a disturbance. His eyes peered further within the canopy. Suddenly, two, no three bright balls of light fluttered about the trees. An eerie and distant laughter seemed to echo within his ears, almost childlike, yet with a mischievous tone. The lights raced around, the leaves of the trees seemed to frost over and became covered in ice as the figures flitted from branch to branch, paying little attention to Scram and his companion panther. As quickly as the lights appeared, the scattered away, further into the forest.

April 26 (3 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Wondering what the creatures could be, Scram continued down the trail toward the lodge, Brother padding along next to him. Hopefully, those rangers would be more tolerant than his village had been. Regardless, Scram needed to find out if they knew anything about what was happening in HIS forest.

April 26 (3 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
The lodge was teeming with activity. The rangers acted as if they prepared for war. Many worked to erect barricades along the bridge side of the lodge. Others prepared traps and other forms of defense. A group of rangers whittled crude tieless arrows from tree branches or crude spears from larger logs. Smoke rose from within the lodge itself, a smell of tar and earth filled Scrams sensitive nose. Scram approached from the trail side, cautiously. Two rangers dug a pit trap close to where the trail approached the lodge. They were covering up the hole with sticks and leaves. The snow was much heavier here and the temperature has dropped below zero. The rangers wear cloaks to provide some protection from the cold, however they still appear affected by the cold weather. They looked up as Scram approached, alerted to his presence (rangers:perception 14 – I assume Scram and Brother are not attempting to sneak but rather approach cautiously).

>> Scram and brother will need to make 1 fortitude save each from the cold weather here. Scram can have a +2 modifier for fur.

April 26 (3 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
(Approaching cautiously but not sneaking is correct). Scram Fortitude: 23 Brother Fortitude: 8

What happen? Why cold?

April 26 (3 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Brother is beginning to whimper from the cold. He shivers as the icy winds pick up. Shaking his head and rubbing up Scram, Brother tries to warm his frozen nose. ( brother takes 2 non-lethal damage from the cold).

The Taldan rangers wave at scram, motioning him to stop. The throw down some last coverings on the pit trap. The snow is falling more steadily and the surface of the pit trap cover already begins to disappear in a thin blanket of snow. They approach the half-Orc, one ranger looks around to check for any other visitors while the other addresses Scram. He speaks in a simple orcish dialect, unsure if Scram understands much of the common tongue. “Be at peace friend”, he begins. “A strange event is taking place beyond the ridge. We have sent our scouts to investigate, but none so far have returned. We prepare for a great battle here. One of our agents within the ranks of rhokar’s army has informed us he has allied with some strange group of creatures with intent to overtake the lodge. As for the weather, we believe we are at the edge of some magical event. We know you live within these woods and have observed you for some time. We do not wish to involve you, but the fate of the Forest itself hangs in the balance. Prepare yourself for a great evil my friend”.

April 26 (3 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Scram hugs Brother close, responding in Orcish (which doesn’t seem to be much better than his Common), “My forest. I protect. Where evil? What glowy light creatures?”

April 28 (3 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“Oh”, the ranger replies. "You must have seen some of the fey creatures. They have been flying about the forest, weaving something magical in the forest. Best not to mess with them. One of our brothers climbed a tree and tried to catch one in a net, and they wove some powerful spell of lights and he fell to the ground from the tree and broke his arm. We thought he was dead at first, but he slowly regained consciousness. " The ranger studied Scram for a minute. " I think this evil may be beyond all of us."

After a pause, as if thinking something over, he says wait here. He runs into the lodge and returns shortly after. “If we are going to fight this, we are going to need help. None of us can face this alone. Our lodgemaster has constructed a message to deliver to Zimar, but we have no-one to send it until fortifications are done. Do you think you could deliver this to someone in Heldren. Their name is written on the parchment. All you would have to do is hand it to anyone in town and they should help you. The parchment is stamped with the official seal of the Taldor rangers. See.” He shows the sealed parchment to Scram. The wax seal imprinted with the offical seal of Taldor, not that Scram knows about such things. “Please .. you would be considered a friend to the rangers and should you return, you would always have a place here.”

April 28 (3 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Scram takes the message, suspiciously. “What mean friend? That like Brother?” There is no word in Orcish for friend, and no one in Scram’s life had ever used the word around him.

April 28 (3 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“Uh .. Yes. Like you and your companion wildcat. Friends can trust each other; help each other; protect each other.” The ranger held out the parchment, nodded. " friend"

April 28 (3 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Scram takes the parchment and reaches out, petting the ranger’s head. “Thank you… friend. I help. What name I give?” Scram screws up his face, looking at the funny squiggles on the parchment.

April 29 (3 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“Iona Teppin”, the ranger replies. “She is the mayor if Heldren, the town to the northeast. She welcomes all so she will see you. She is a friend.”

April 29 (3 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“Come, Brother.” Scram turns to face precisely northeast (Know Direction) and starts walking.

April 30 (3 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Following known trails, scram and brother moved quickly through the woods, the parchment tucked inside a small pack carried by the half-Orc Druid. It would be miles before they reached the town, perhaps two or three days through difficult forest trails and terrain. Luckily, scram was accustomed to this type of landscape and made quick progress. As darkness approached, scram climbed up a tree to rest. Brother eyed a sturdy branch and with one leap, found a comfortable spot to watch out and protect his best friend from danger. ( Erik. This is a good chance for you to expand you character on the way to Heldren. You can become the storyteller and I will continue moving it along where appropriate)

May 01 (3 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
On a normal day, Scram would hunt, forage, and play with Brother. Now, however, purpose drives his steps. He must get to Heldren and find this Yuna Tempin.

(There’s not really a whole lot for me to do on the way to town… hike, hunt, forage, camp, repeat… maybe some whittling at camp, I’d like to work in a craft, but didn’t have enough skill points)

May 02 (3 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Upon arriving at the edge of town, scram approached a wooden cabin in the edge of the woods. Smoke rose from the chimney of the cabin. A tall older man chopped wood and piled the pieces along the side of the cabin. He seemed not to notice scram and whistled an unfamiliar tune.

May 02 (3 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Scram walks straight up to the man, says “I un a temp in.” and waits patiently for directions. Brother sits by his side, growling slightly.

May 02 (3 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
The man stops chopping and looks up at Scram. Sensing he is in no real danger, although suspiciously eyeing Brother, he brings the axe down to rest inside a stump; The handle sticking up in the air for ease of access. “What was that my forest friend? I’m an old man but I swear that was neither common nor orcish. Perhaps the hidden language of the forest? Could you repeat it once more for my old grey ears?”

May 02 (3 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Scram scratches his head and thinks for a moment. “Iuna Tempin? Oh….” Scram shows the man the parchment.

May 03 (3 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“Oh, councillor Teppin”. The old man takes the parchment. He turns it over in his hands studying the seal. “This is the seal of the Taldor rangers? This must be important. Where did you get this? Are you a friend of the rangers?”

May 03 (3 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Scram nods emphatically. “Me friend. Evil forest. Me protect. Who count sell her? Where? Need find.”

May 03 (3 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Handing the parchment back to Scram, the huntsman says, “Follow me. I’ll take you right to her. Nobody will bother you if I’m with you. I”ll be your friend in town. Ok?"

May 03 (3 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Scram reaches out and pets the man’s head. “Ok, we friends now. I follow.”

May 05 (3 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
The huntsman and Scram walk quickly through the trail, emerging near the Armory. The dirt path winds its way up a log will west of town. The tower is about 30 feet high with battlements on its roof and arrow slits along the walls. As they pass, the huntsman notices Scram looking over at the tall building. "Don’t worry, my friend. It’s completely empty inside, just stairs and some old arms and armor. I doubt anyone has really been in there for ages. There used to be a soldier from Zimar posted in the tower, but the Taldor rangers did such a good job protecting the forest, and there is not much to do here. When coin got redirected to the war, they never bothered to send a replacement .. We just keep an old bell up there in case of emergency although it’s probably rusted completely through .. " They kept walking and the man continued his story while Scram tried to keep up with his tale, although only understanding bits and pieces.

Eventually they make their way into town, past a few buildings and shoppes. An apothecary to the south and a Smithy to the north. As they passed by, a woman with long locks waved and hollered out at the huntsman. He waved back and returned a smile, but they continued to make haste down the main thoroughfare (if you could call it that). The dirt had given way to cobble, but " nothing like the impressive streets of Oppara", the man remarked. They passed into the major town square and the Huntsman brought Scram to a set of stairs leading to a tall building. It seemed rather grand for a village of this size and even had a mechanical device above it. “That’s the clock. Orillus keeps it going day and night. Not all towns have one of those you know. Orillus installed a second alarm in there to muster the militia in case of attack, although we don’t really have much of one these days. I used to be a part of it, until I got a case of oldtimer’s bones.” The huntsman laughed heartily at himself at this comment, glancing over at Scram, who just stared blankly.

“Alright, I can see I’m boring you with an old man’s tales. Well .. here we are.” He opened the door to the town hall, ushering the half-orc to step inside.

May 05 (3 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“New friend talk lot.” Scram steps warily inside, ducking under the door frame. His hand is resting on Brother’s head, although it is not clear who is reassuring whom. Scram looks around for someone counting things.

May 06 (3 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Simril leads the druid inside the main chamber of the Town hall and approached a woman behind a desk directly within. He explained the situation and requested to meet with Ionna immediately. She nodded, calling over a young boy who took direction from her and disappeared quickly up a set of stairs. Moments later he returned. “Ionna will see you now. Follow me.”

May 06 (3 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Scram follows, still waiting for the other shoe to drop. After never receiving any kindness from anyone, all this lack of hostility makes him confused, and wary.

May 06 (3 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
They entered a small chamber off a hallway at the top of the stairs. A large desk inside the room took up much of the space. Papers were arranged on the desk in stacks and an ink pen sat inside an inkwell over to one side. A middle aged woman, with kind eyes sat behind the desk and welcomed her guests with a smile.

“Well hello Simril, it is good to see you .. and this must be ..” she paused, looking at the half-orc with a sort of empty expression, realizing she actually had no idea who he was. “Are you a Taldor … ranger? I am Ionna Teppin, town councelor.” She extended her hand in a greeting to Scram.

May 06 (3 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Scram looks down at the hand way below his head. Aha, here is the treatment I am used to. Scram takes a knee to rub his head against her hand. Getting back to his feet, he says coldly, “Nice forest people ask me give you this. I want protect forest.” and hands her the message. Looking around, “Why you count papers?”

May 07 (3 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Ionna glances over at Simril with a questioning glance. She returns her gaze to the half-orc, smiling and this time speaking very carefully. "I have no idea why I count the papers. Its a really good question. " Reaching for the parchement she continues, “Thank you. What is your name?” She takes the parchment and begins to remove the seal.

May 07 (3 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“I called Scram.” Brother, sensing Scram’s displeasure, growls deep in his throat, not threateningly (yet), just making sure she knows he’s there.

May 07 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“It is so nice to have you. This letter you gave me is very important. I am going to send a messenger to Taldor immediately on horseback. I expect it will take a few days, but I believe we will recieve aid from a city nearby called Zimar. While we wait, you are our guest here. Perhaps Simril can provide some lodging for you until we can work together to save the forest. The forest is my friend too.”

Simril nods in aggreement. “Scram, you can stay with me .. and .. Brother too ok. We can wait in the forest for help from Zimar and take that help back to the Rangers. What do you say?”

May 07 (2 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Scram thinks about it. The old lady seems nice, even if she was demeaning to me at first. If she really is a friend of the forest, I suppose we can work with her, and the old man and the rangers were nice to me, and they trust her. I guess it couldn’t hurt to try. “Ok. Where your tree?”

May 08 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Scram and the old huntsman head down the steps of the Town Hall. “There are many trees out back of my cabin Scram, and any one would make a nice place to rest.” He offers, realizing Scram may be more comfortable in the forest. “Although, I do have a spare room. Godric is staying in it, he’s a friend to the forest as well. You might enjoy some company and another friend. There is a soft bed and a warm fire and a place for Brother to curl up and sleep”

May 08 (2 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“Brother and I no like walls, beds. We sleep trees. Thank you.”

May 10 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“Your choice my friend. Help yourself to some hot soup from the stove before you rest if you want. You can join us at the table for dinner. Its our custom here to eat with friends.”

May 10 (2 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“You have meat for Brother?”

May 10 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“Of course .. I have the remains of a fresh deer kill. We do not like to waste any of it. I’m sure Brother would find plenty of meat there. Unless he prefers cooked food?” He glances at the large cat.

May 10 (2 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
“No cook, raw. Me, small cook.”

May 13 (2 months ago)
Casey C. Mentor
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
The group sit down for a meal together, the cat feasting on the remains of the deer carcass, licking his lips in satisfaction. Scram is given some rare deer steak and a bowl of piping hot soup. Godric and Simril ask questions of Scram. Wondering where he came from and how he came to live in the Border woods. They ask about the Taldor rangers and the strange beings Scram witnessed. All in all, they have a very enjoyable meal together; a first for the half-orc druid, to be invited to partake with friends. After dinner, Simril removes a collar from a desk drawer. "This belonged to my best friend, a wolf named Parrish. He died many years ago of old age, and I didn’t have the heart or determination to replace him. I think that you might find that this may bring Brother luck and old age as it did for Parrish. He presents this gift to Scram, bowing before him.

THIS ENDS THIS STORYLINEFURTHER ADVENTURES FOR SCRAM AND BROTHER AWAIT
Reward SCRAM 300 XP and Gain +2 Insight bonus to percieve Fey Creatures as well as a +2 diplomacy bonus with Taldor Rangers

Should Scram accept the gift, it is a collar of resistance and acts as the cloak with the same name.

May 13 (2 months ago)
Erik L.
Permalink Quote Edit Delete
Scram bows his head and takes the collar. “Brother wear, honor Parrish.”

View

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.